Smoker delived today.

Started by Smorker, March 08, 2011, 07:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smorker

The last time I smoked anything was 20 years ago with an R2D2 smoker. It wasn't pretty. I'm hoping to have better luck with the Bradley.

So my bid decision is deciding what to do first. I'm inclined to go with pulled pork. I'm looking for a rub that will deliver non sweet results.

Thanks for any thoughts.

DTAggie

Welcome New2BBQ.  You will love the Bradley.  Butt is what I always suggest for a first smoke.  It is very forgiving, accepting of any rub...and its dead, you can't hurt it.  What kind of rubs or spices do you have on hand?

Smorker

Salt, pepper, garlic, onion powder, dried mustard, cumin and a bunch of other stuff I probably wouldn't think of using. Easy enough to get whatever I'm may be missing. I also have sugar and brown sugar, but I don't much care for sweet food and I'm reluctant to use either in any significant quantity.

La Quinta

Welcome New2...try doing your own rub...hell you can make the rub as sweet or as spicey as you'd like...paprika...chilli powder...mustard...but a little brown sugar helps in the coloring as well as flavor...just do it...it's just a butt!!! herbs are nice too...depends on what kinda flavor you want...the Book Smoke and Spice has some good rub recipes...easy and forgiving...after you do your first one...you'll see what you need to add or delete...  :D

Ps...you can pick that book up almost anywhere for about 15-20 bucks...

wyoduke

Welcome to the forum and for me i would go for a hot mustard seasoning of your choice but i would not go with any sugar on the butt you can also go to the recipe site and look up a vaunted vinegar sauce for it also let your taste buds be your guide ;D
1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

SoCalBuilder

Welcome to the addiction! I don't think I would have the nerve to do an overnight smoke for my first attempt. A sacrificial chicken was my first and remains a favorite. Good luck and enjoy what ever you do.

Jim O

Welcome aboard new2BBQ!

Just a reminder - season the new Bradley before you smoke and leave the vent open !

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

beefmann

welcome to the forum. lots of good information and you are headed in the right direction,

as for a rub I like to use paprika, pepper, salt, granulated garlic and ground mustard and if you  like it a bit spicier add in some hot ground chile

mix it all together and coat the pork well, let  stand in the  fridge for 4 hours to 24 hours then pull out and let stand  as you  start the  smoker. hour later when the smoker is  ready and hot ( 210- 225 ish ) put the meat in the smoker and plan 1 hr 15 mins to 1 hr 30 mins per lb for pulled pork, the best IT ( internal temp) is 180 to 190

Good luck

smoker pete

Welcome to the Forum new2BBQ.  Good luck on your 1st butt.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

Smorker

Thanks everyone. I'll get it seasoned this weekend and I think I'll go with beefmann's suggestion for the rub.

jiggerjams

Welcome, below is a link that will take you to the recipe site. It has a "Rubs" section. I know one of the forum's favorites is Jan's Rub and it is tasty!!. You can find Jan's Rub in the "Rubs" section.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?180-Our-Time-Tested-and-Proven-Recipes

Keep it stoked!!

JJ

Smorker

Got it seasoned yesterday evening. First mistake. I had it on a small enclosed porch. I had no idea how much smoke this thing cranks out. Even with the windows all open the porch smells like a boy scout campfire (so do I). I spent the day airing it out. The smoker has been moved to an exterior location. I found a small pork butt (2 lb) and have a rub sitting on it. The smoker is heating so I can find the 200º point. Gonna be smoking away in about an hour.

GusRobin

you may find that the butt takes about 3-4 hours at 200
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Smorker

2:15 min @ 230º, the butt is at 150º. should be 2 wood and three bubbas left in the hopper. I'll see where it is in 30 min and decide whether to add more pucks (and spill the heat) or to just let it finish up the way it is.

GusRobin

you will hit a stall at about 160ish .
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.