• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Someone suggested AVG anti-virus!

Started by Quarlow, March 13, 2011, 10:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quarlow

I installed it lastnight and it messed up my computer and now I can't uninstall it. If anyone else is considering it I would suggest you pass on it. Now every 5 minutes it wants to restart my computer. It is a friggen pain in the ass. Now I am screwed again. I'm having trouble accessing the net, it takes 2 or 3 trys to get on. Just a warning to anyone thinking of trying it.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

BigJohnT

Ouch! If it is a winblows machine usually you can restore back to a known good time... I forget exactly how and really like my Ubuntu computers that never have that problem.

John

3rensho

Not a problem with Slackware either.  On my winblows machine I use Norton 360 and it seems to work on those occasions when I start it.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

ADH

Restart the PC, after the 1st post screen start hitting the F8 key then go into Safe Mode. From there you should be able to remove AVG.

smoker pete

Not sure where and how you got AVG Antivirus Q but you may have inadvertently installed a fake version of a legitimate antivirus software.  You may want to visit http://www.2-viruses.com/remove-avg-antivirus-2011-fake and do a Google search on how to remove AVG Antivirus.

Here is a sample quote about the fake software:
AVG Antivirus 2011 (Fake) is a sneaky application which has stolen this name from one completely legitimate anti-virus solution also called AVG Antivirus and Security software.  It is just another variant of Rogue:Win32/FakeXPA, earlier being called Antivirus 8. AVG Antivirus 2011 (Fake) mostly applies Trojans for its secret intrusion and also uses fake scan websites distributing this fabricated clone.  As a rule, AVG Antivirus 2011 (Fake version) starts interrupting into every browsing session with scanners that are absolute fake.

Good luck.  Hope you get things cleaned up.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

Quarlow

Thanks guys. Brian from Bradley head office gave me a link to AVG removal tool and it work great. Thanks Brian. If anyone else needs it here it is.

http://www.avg.com/ca-en/download-tools
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

Quarlow

It seemed legit, I think it just conflicted with my service providers security software.

OBS
BBQ

Mr Walleye

I agree with Smoker Pete. I have 8 systems all running AVG without any problems.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Bradley (Head Office)

Glad to hear your back in business Q

Two differant security systems can fight with each other and cause problems.

But to be on the safe side I would do a full system scan to make sure you didnt get a fake one like Smoker Pete described.

Quarlow

OBS
BBQ

Quarlow

Just after being without my computer for 2 months I got a little excited. All is good but it is sure nice to have all you guys who aren't like me. TECHNO tit. When I was a teenager my dad found he couldn't keep up with the technology. You know how technical those VCR's were.   Well now as things progress I am finding myself in his position. I don't know what I will do when my girls move out. I guess you guys will have to take up the slack. And I have to admit my dad did pretty good with computers when they came along.

OBS
BBQ

pensrock

Many people like AVG but when I tried it a couple years ago it crashed my computer big time. I finally had to reformat the hard drive and reinstall all my programs. Took a few days to get it back running. I will never use AVG again.  >:(

muebe

Quarlow use this free virus scanning software from here...

http://www.avira.com/en/support-download-free-antivirus

It is free and I have been using it for years without problems.

And here is a malware scanner that is free called malwarebytes. You can get it here...

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Malwarebytes-AntiMalware/1186760019/1

It does not scan automatically but if you run the update/scan once a week you should be virus/malware free ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Quarlow

OBS
BBQ

ADH

The one from Micro$oft is Micro$oft Security Essentials and it seems to work pretty well so far and it's free.