• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Cornish Hens

Started by bubbagump, September 04, 2005, 06:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bubbagump

I'm having the in-laws over tomorrow for Cornish Hens in the smoker, total of six birds (20 oz. each). I am planning to flavor brine them (2-3 hrs. enough time?) and then apply a rub. I was going to smoke them for only 2 hours at 210-220, but what would you estimate the total cook time to be?

I bought the Maverick ET-73 and will be using it, but would like to have an idea how long they will take start to finish.

Also, what internal temp. do you pull them at?

Thanks,

Bubbagump

Habanero Smoker

The brine time depends on the strength of your solution of salt and sugar. I would lean closer to three hours, the brine recipe I use, I have to go about six hours. I smoke Cornish Hens frequently, but usually with other meat in the cabinet, such as with chicken parts or wings; so I go by internal meat temperature. I would guess about 3-4 hours total time. To me Cornish Hens pick up a stronger smoke flavor then chicken. If this is your first time I would start with 4 bisquettes; pull them out when the internal temperature is 165 F at the thigh. When I do several pieces, I keep a hand held instant read thermometer handy and check the internal temperatures of the other pieces also.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

bubbagump

Thanks HS for the info. That's a good idea about checking the temp in the other pieces as well.

What temp do you keep your BS at when cooking them?

I was planning on using the brine receipe that was submitted by MWS in the recipe section. It seemed easy for a first timer. Any other suggestions?

Thanks again,

Bubbagump

Habanero Smoker

You may not have to check every piece, maybe one or two on each shelf. When I am doing a lot of chicken parts or other small cuts of meat or fish, I will randomly check 2 or 3 other pieces on each tray. If they are within 5 degrees of reaching the internal temperature, I'll pull them.

Reviewing MWS recipe, for the first time I would start with 2 hours of brining time for Cornish Hens. I also air dry poultry after taking poultry out of the brine, by leaving it uncovered in the refrigerator (usually overnight), but if you don't have time for that, use paper towels to dry them as thoroughly as possible.

Depending on the type of rub you are using, occasionally I will loosely stuff the cavity with fresh herbs, or place a few slices of lemons in each cavity, and remove the herbs or lemons just before serving.

For poultry any temperature between 200-225 F., is good to smoke at. You'll find that brined Cornish Hens are pretty forgiving. If you finish them early, tent foil them and they hold fairly well in a warm oven; I don't FTC poultry with skin. If you are running short on time, you can finish them off in a 350 F. oven, or on a grill using indirect heat.

PS
If this is your first time doing poultry, be careful when removing them from the smoker. The cavities fill up with juices, and any tilting of the tray, you will find the juices flowing down onto your deck or on your foot. This has happened to me on more than one occasion, and I can only say that I am glad I don't wear sandals. [:)]

I
         don't
                   inhale.

bubbagump

Thanks so much for the information Hab. I'll let you know how things turn out.

Bubbagump

JJC

Welcome to the Forum, BubbaG!  Heed Hab's advice on not tilting the tray--I did that once, and I do wear sandals [B)][:0][B)]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

bubbagump

Habs,

All went well with the Cornish Hens. Follwed your advice and they came out looking and tasting great! As I mentioned, I had my in-laws over for dinner and my mother in-law, who is battling cancer and is getting her appetite back, said it was just the treat she needed.

Talk to you soon.

Bubbagump

nsxbill

Glad that everything went well.  It is always important for things to be good, but special pressure when family is over!  How was the skin?  What temp did you end up bringing the smoker temp up to?

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Habanero Smoker

Hope your mother-in-law beats her cancer. I have a sister who had cancer, and lately her white blood count is high so she may have to go in for chemo.

Glad everything turned out alright. I have the some additional questions to add to Bill's. How much smoke did you end up applying, and what was the total cook time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

MallardWacker

I bet the hens would do well spatchcocking them, or just plain slitting them then finishing them on the grill.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

bubbagump

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">How was the skin? What temp did you end up bringing the smoker temp up to?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
The skin was good, not rubbery. I started out at 205 for the first 1-1/2 hrs. and ended a 215 for the final two.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> How much smoke did you end up applying, and what was the total cook time. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I used four bisquettes, as you suggested, but may try a few more the next time. I only had hickory last weekend but now have a variety of bisquettes and will try a different wood (apple or maple) the next time. Total cook time was 3-1/2 hours.

It's kind of funny, since I started using the smoker I've had neighbors wander by the deck to see where the awesome smell was coming from. Some have offered to buy enough meat for the both of us if I'll smoke it. In fact, I'm taking the one neighbor up on his offer this weekend.[:D]   Actually it will make for a great get together.

Bubbagump

tsquared

Welcome to the forum, Bubbagump. I hope your m-i-l beats that cancer while enjoying your cooking. My wife has been fighting it for 10 months--her favourite food/medicine out of the smoker is pork loin.
 <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">It's kind of funny, since I started using the smoker I've had neighbors wander by the deck to see where the awesome smell was coming from. Some have offered to buy enough meat for the both of us if I'll smoke it. In fact, I'm taking the one neighbor up on his offer this weekend. Actually it will make for a great get together.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
That's what it's all about.
T2

Oldman

Well I wish you both luck. My Baby girl is now headed towards her 5th free year.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!