Got a Question for you guys

Started by Tenpoint5, March 15, 2011, 12:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

How many use Skype? Is it worth downloading the program and using it? I know my in-laws used it all the time to talk to the SIL in UAE. I was thinking about trying it but wanted to get some input on it first.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

FLBentRider

I use the business edition. It's pretty cool. It doesn't work very well over an aircard.

There are some settings that you will want to set so every charlie sheen jackwagon on the planet can't contact you, I'll look them up.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

rdevous

A friend of mine in the "hush hush, wink, wink, nudge, nudge" computer security department for a military government agency told me that they and other services of that type are Swiss cheese with security holes inspite of what the companies will tell you.  You could be talking on a "conference call" and not be aware!

Ray

If you can't smoke it.....you don't need it!!!

Ka Honu

SWMBO's daughter spent the 2008-09 school year in Japan and we used Skype (PC to PC) extensively and loved it.  We also have some friends who use it to see & talk to their grandkids on the mainland and it gets high marks from them.  Only issue is to make sure you have it running when you're available so the other person can call you.

As Ray says, it's probably not all that secure but you're not using it to pass essential information.

pensrock

Heck I do not even own a cell phone, never heard of skype.  ???

beefmann

i have heard of skype and dont use it, have heard horror stories lots of echos and broken words, am looking into nettalk and see if it is worth it

Ka Honu

We've only used Skype between PCs.  If you have a decent connection on both ends, it works well - very little lag between video and voice, if any. If you don't have a good high-speed internet connection I'd imagine it would be pretty ragged.

Quarlow

Don't use it. But never had a need too. My daughter uses it sometimes.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

wyoduke

I do skype all the family is on it . Its a cool deal
1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

SoCalBuilder

My wife uses Skype with a few relatives. It can be a little frustrating when the audio doen't track with the video and occasionally it will jump to the "Max Headroom" mode, which is actually entertaining for a few moments. Other than that, it is free, unless you want to do conference calling. I've dissuaded my lovely bride so far :D I can also tell you that Windows Vista can make it a challenge.

squirtthecat

Quote from: SoCalBuilder on March 16, 2011, 10:24:27 AM
I can also tell you that Windows Vista can make it a challenge.

As it does with most things!   ;)