Jerky, smoker and then into a dehydrator??

Started by _Bear_, March 17, 2011, 11:12:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Bear_

OK, looking to make another batch of jerky. My last batch did not turn out so well. I have ben thinking about puting in the Bradley for a an hr or so @ 180* , then into the dehydrator for 6 hrs or so. This is just a cheap dehydrator bought at Walmart about 15 years ago, it just moves air. will this work?
Bradly Digital 6 rack smoker
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ
"Cant hurt it, it's already dead"

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: _Bear_ on March 17, 2011, 11:12:55 AM
OK, looking to make another batch of jerky. My last batch did not turn out so well. I have ben thinking about puting in the Bradley for a an hr or so @ 180* , then into the dehydrator for 6 hrs or so. This is just a cheap dehydrator bought at Walmart about 15 years ago, it just moves air. will this work?

Yeah dehydrator will work but start your jerky around 160 in the smoker.

Quarlow

_Bear_, I was not happy with my last batch either. I intend to get a dehydrator for finishing mine also.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

pikeman_95

Get the smoke in the smoker that you want but bring it up to heat enough to kill any bacteria. Then when you finish it in the dehydrator the moisture will leave the meat more evenly. You should be able to take it out when it is still leathery and before it gets so dry it snaps. In my GB jerky I always use cure and I can tell it is reached a safe temperature because the burger will start to turn pink.

_Bear_

I plan on smoking for 1 hr @ 160*, then into my new dehydrator @ 160*. My old dehydrator was just wore out (it was my parents) so I went out and found a new Nesco on sale. I also got 4 extra trays (8 total) so I can do a big load

QuoteIntroducing our newest dehydrator the FD-80 Square Dehydrator & Jerky Maker. This innovative design features 700 watts of drying power, and generates maximum speed and quality for dehydrating fruits, vegetables, beef jerky, and venison jerky. The top mounted fan eliminates liquids dripping into the heating chamber!

Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

Indy Smoker

I just use the smoker to dry the jerky and it comes out perfect

SoCalBuilder

I have had a lot of luck with jerky in the OBS. I just added the rack kit and now have room for twelve racks. As soon as my racks and mats get here from Yard and Pool, I'll load it to overflowing and see how she does.

OU812

Thats a good lookin pile of jerky SoCal.

When you load your smoker to the hilt be prepaired to rotate the racks top to bottom, front to back about every hr.

All that goodness in there wont let the heat up to the top and will over cook the stuff on the bottom.

I'm just sayin.

_Bear_

OK guys, I want to make some jerky nugets. I bought 5 lbs of nice lean Costco stewing beef chunks, I also have some Hi Mountain Jerky Cure and seasoning (original blend) how do I go about curing and seasoning this stuff?
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

OU812

Just fallow the directions for whole muscle jerky.

SoCalBuilder

Bear - I use HiMtn and on 1/4 to 3/8" thick, I think they call for about 24 hours. The thicker chunks will take longer. I don't think you could do any harm by letting it go foe even a week.

OU812 - Yeah, I'm in for a busy day, but up to now, I've been double stacking 8 racks in four positions and they get kind of slippery stacked that way and I've nearly dropped a couple. It may be the last time I try 12 racks :o

OU812

SoCal

With 12 separate racks it will be much more enjoyable to do the rotate thing.

I can do it with only one eye open and thats just so I can see straight.  :D

Brianpcooney

You use the smoker for the whole thing?  i ask because i don't have a dehydrator and i keep looking for a recipe that i can do just in the smoker. could you suggest a good starter recipe? ive been wanting to make turkey jerky in the worst way. theres a great sounding maple bourbon tj on here somewhere but the recipe transfers to a dehydrator.

SoCalBuilder

Brian - Yeah, I use the OBS for the whole operation. I jerk the water tray out after the smoking is done. It's a busy day because you need to rotate the racks and toward the end, you'll end up pulling pieces as they get done. Even with a meat slicer, some just finish quicker than others. It's worth it in the end, it just doesn't last long ;D

steve-o

Quote from: Brianpcooney on March 29, 2011, 09:40:17 AM
You use the smoker for the whole thing?  i ask because i don't have a dehydrator and i keep looking for a recipe that i can do just in the smoker. could you suggest a good starter recipe? ive been wanting to make turkey jerky in the worst way. theres a great sounding maple bourbon tj on here somewhere but the recipe transfers to a dehydrator.

Heres a good recipe to start with http://gnipsel.com/recipes/jerky/soy-jerky.html I believe its from member BigJohnT(hope I'm right). He told me its good for turkey too, I did it with beef and liked it. And its one that you can alter to your liking. If you look through posts in this section there a few other recipes too. I think Nepas posted a recipe recently as well, so its probably a winner too. I don't have a dehydrator, I do it all in the smoker and it turns out great, just have to rotate the racks.