question about cold smoke mod

Started by howlin, March 18, 2011, 01:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

howlin

im running a hybrid ,bradley cold smoke generator into a wood box(cold smoke chamber)routed into my mastercraft main chamber(the one with the window and light).my dilemma is that the main chambers min temp is 100f ,this tended to be to hot for cheese and wouldnt start smoking untill over 110f.this is why i got the bradley csg .i would like to make it so that i can get temps in the 40 to 90f range (set temps) for some other projects i want to do.how would i go about this?pid to replace my factory digital control ,smaller second element,light bulb i dont know.i need ideas thanks.oh i also have a problem with smoke backing into my generator (no wind 4 inch ducting into main chamber from the box (mabye 2'x2'x3')and factory vent wide open)
if cows didn't taste so good ,they would be extinct

OU812

Are you running your heating element in the smoker?

In mine I only turn on the heat if the smoker is below 80 then turn it off.

Does your vent pipe going to you smoker have a 90 deg bend in it?

Two 45 deg bends would work better.

Got a picture of your set up?

Pictures always help.

beefmann

how big  is the wood box? is it small ( 12 x 12 x12? or larger 24 x 24 x 24 ? )

is your  main box vented? if yes  is the vent wide open?

how is your cold smoke box piped to your main box ? is it  short .. couple of 90" ? or 2 to 3 feet between the two?

what is the outside temperature surrounding your main box?

is the unit in direct sun?

howlin

the wood box is the cold smoke chamber (the generator is attached to this) this box is 3'x 2' x2' l w h and has a 4 inch vent tube about 2 ' long running from it to my main smoke chamber (its a flexible dryer type tube so the bend is a very gentle 90 (more like many small bends to get the 90)main box is factory vented (probably 4 inch that i never close )(mabye i need a second vent like that)im in canada so the outside temps varies with every breath i take but the inside main chamber temps are usually 10c over outside temp.its on a south exposure so i can boost internal temps to try to get into that 40 to 90 range ,but i want to actually control temp no matter what the outside temp is(if i want 80 then is got to be 80 ect ,guess im a control freak lol) "Are you running your heating element in the smoker?

In mine I only turn on the heat if the smoker is below 80 then turn it off"ou812 ive tried that but ive found to much fluctuation in temp ,even when i wrap the whole thing in insulated blacket i just cant keep the heat temps consistent. im thinking about another smaller heat source that i can control.

howlin

howlin

this is a historic moment ,my first ever uploaded picture whoo hooo.i would like to thank all those that made this possible...snif snif ..i promised myself i wouldnt cry .lets try another one

OU812

Maybe try a longer rise on your vent tube going to the smoker, longer rise means more draft.

howlin

maybe like moving the vent tube to the right hand SIDE of the box near the top .that should work eh?how about the twin factory vent idea ,would that help ? that vent beside the digital control is the vent and its fully open in the photo .its starting to look small to me.

howlin

altho in this picture the door have alot of black rain so its too moist in there ,perhaps another vent might be in order