• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoking AND Dehydrating in BS

Started by SoupGuy, September 10, 2005, 04:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoupGuy

A friend of mine got into smoking earlier this year as a result of tasting some the things I make. He bought a Bradley Smoker and has tried a few things (on his own) and doesn't seem to be happy with his results. (he doesn't listen well, but I think I can fix that)

I have only inspected his BS once, so am not overly familiar with its operation. I DO own a BS smoke-generator which I have to assume is the SAME as what is installed on his BS?

Essentially, he has given up and put the BS in the attic. I offered to teach him to make excellent beef jerky by taking his equipment and doing it myself. So now I have questions that hopefully some of you can answer.....

Can I DEHYDRATE beef jerky in a BS? I always smoke my jerky (custom smoker) and can dehydrate in the same unit, or use a dehydrator (Excalliber 9 tray- <u>excellent </u>unit).

In our custom smoker, after smoking the dampers are fully opened and the temp set to 145 degrees. It doesn't take long to dry the meat this way.

Can the BS be used to (uniformly) dry meat? Any suggestions????

Best know not for soup, but rather smoked meats...

calatexmex

Hey Soup
This is how I like to make jerky in the BS.
Place jerky in smoker set temp at 130-140 degrees no smoke no water bowl. Leave it that way for about an hour or until they feel dry to the touch. You must rotate racks top to bottom front to back at least once during this time.
Place water bowl in smoker to catch burnt pucks. Start smoke. I use 4 pucks. Bring smoker to 160-180 degrees. When all pucks are burnt. Remove water bowl. Leave jerky in smoker until you reach the desired dryness. Remember to rotate the racks at least every hour during the entire cook. This is kind of a hassle but worth it. I've found that I can make the jerky as dry or as tender as I want this way. Hope this helps. Below is some jerky that I recently made. Very good.

CLICK TO ENLARGE

Mike C

SoupGuy

Awesome looking jerk! The color is fantastic and I'll bet it was delicious (even if you did them yesterday, surely they're all gone!)

Thanks for the tip on rotating the racks. Just curious as to why you wait to introduce the smoke? I used to use a dehydrator for drying before building my current smoker, so I always smoked first, then into the  dehydrator. (before the dehydrator I used an oven).

While the new smoker is nice because I can dehydrate in it and no longer require the dehydrator for jerk, I too need to rotate the racks at least once after smoking.

Thanks!!

Best know not for soup, but rather smoked meats...

calatexmex

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SoupNazi</i>
<br />
 Just curious as to why you wait to introduce the smoke?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Smoke adheres better to dry meat than to wet. At least thats what they say in all the jerky and sausage books. And who am I to argue with the experts. You know the old saying. "If it ante broke don't fix it" Works for me. Thanks for the complement. Yes, the jerky was very good. Love that apple smoke.

Mike C

Labluver

I just got my BS and I'm curing it as I type this. I can't find much about using this as a dehydrator. Do you just use a low temperature setting? I am also about to try making pheasant jerky. Have you ever tried making that? If so, any suggestions? Thanks

Oldman

calatexmex  great answer(s)...

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

iceman

Great post calatexmex. Your right about the meat taking on color and flavor after it's dry. Like a dummy I had to try it both ways but I just had to know. They both turned out but the way you smoked it was far better.[;)]

JJC

Welcome to the Forum, Wes!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA