Nepas...Need a little guidance.

Started by WISmoker, March 22, 2011, 07:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WISmoker

Ok.  So I have read plenty of jerky posts and think I have this all figured out. 

3-5 pucks of smoke
No water in the bowl
I was thinking 140 for 2 hours
--150 for 1 hour
--160 for 1 hour
--170 til done
Rotating racks top to bottom, back to front every hour

Question is...what wet marinade should I use for 5 lbs of meat?  I know I saw a post from Nepa's somewhere on the forum, but I can't seem to find it again.  Any suggestions for a wet marinade?

Thanks!

WISmoker

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: WISmoker on March 22, 2011, 07:09:20 AM
Ok.  So I have read plenty of jerky posts and think I have this all figured out. 

3-5 pucks of smoke
No water in the bowl
I was thinking 140 for 2 hours
--150 for 1 hour
--160 for 1 hour
--170 til done
Rotating racks top to bottom, back to front every hour

Question is...what wet marinade should I use for 5 lbs of meat?  I know I saw a post from Nepa's somewhere on the forum, but I can't seem to find it again.  Any suggestions for a wet marinade?

Thanks!

WISmoker

Looks like it will work.

Hillbilly marinade for 5 lbs

5 lbs of strips
2 Tbs salt (non iodized)
1 level tsp cure #1
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp cayenne
1 tsp black pepper
2 Tbs onion powder
1 cup soy sauce
1 to 1.5 cups worcestershire (to taste)
3 cups water

Mix all the dry with the liquid (taste) to see if you want the other 1/2 cup worcest. Marinade strip for a min of 8 hours in a plastic container, mix around every few hours. Drain marinade and place strips on racks (dont rinse the marinade off the strips)

Smoke your way shown above, vent full open

WISmoker

Awesome!  Thanks so much Nepas!

WISmoker

RAF128

I'd leave water in the bowl while you're smoking.    Something has to catch the used pucks and extinguish them or they just lay in the bottom of the smoker and smolder.   After that last puck, then take the water out.