Kenny's Chuckwagon

Started by squirtthecat, March 23, 2011, 06:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

A large part of the reason we traveled out to Tacoma was to visit my MIL's cousin's husband, Ken.   His health is failing, but he keeps in good spirits and doesn't bother himself with worrying about things like that.

Ken likes to cook.  Any kind of cooking...  His favorite thing to do is to enter Chili cook-offs, cook for charity events, small party catering, etc.

This is his new baby...  Custom built by an acquaintance of his that does a lot of woodworking, black powder rifle hunting, etc.     It is a scale model Chuckwagon.

I wanted to get some closer shots here, but the trailer started to tip backwards under the load (it wasn't hooked to anything) and I had to dash around and provide 'ballast' until they got a jack under the backside of it.   :o

Anyway, poking my head in the front door, you can see the 'prep area':

They had to adjust the table height a bit, compared to the old ones.

He's looking forward to the chili cook-off 'circuit' which starts next month.

At the young age of 16, he shipped off to the South Pacific during WWII with the Seabees.  For 3 years, he was assigned to the Marines to help track enemy snipers/saboteurs that were hiding in caves on the nearby islands.  He told me a few hair raising stories about that, but most he keeps to himself.   He served again during/after the Korean War.

Ken turns 83 today.   He has to get another blood transfusion today, but he told me before we left he's looking forward to turning 84.    

I'd like to raise my drink and wish him a Happy Birthday.

Quarlow

Here's to one more year. I raise a glass to Ken. It will be straight up like a real man would take it. Which Ken obviously is.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

OU812

I will raise my drink to Ken, straight up Jack, Ken is a true hero in my eyes.

My grandfather was in WWII also and wouldnt talk about it, I know he was on Omaha beach and Normandy and other hot spots but thats all he would say, he was ba hell of a guy.

Cool chuch wagon, thats some nice workmanship.

Wish Ken a happy birthady for me will ya.

Tenpoint5

Cup is up and waiting to see his chuck wagon loaded for business! Next year!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

TestRocket

I took a sip just for Ken to his Birthday and his service to our country! Although I think he must have lied about his age when he joined up!   ;)

Beans and hard-tack for me please!  ;D

hal4uk

Wish Ken a happy birthday for me!

Ask him if he ever knew a guy named Jimmy Driver, my favorite uncle - deceased - was in the Seabees.
(Ya never know)...

BTW...  today is also Mavis's (Jimmy's momma/my grandmother) birthday!
She would be 105 if we hadn't buried her last year.
Awrighten.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

La Quinta

Happy Day Ken...the chuckwagon is really kool...gotta be a lot of fun...good for him...83 years young!!!

NePaSmoKer

That is very cool

Cheers to Kenny

wyoduke

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on March 24, 2011, 05:09:07 AM
That is very cool

Cheers to Kenny
I hope he has great fun with the chuck wagon .
1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

KyNola

That is way cool!  Sounds like Ken is a heck of a guy.  Happy Birthday Ken!

muebe

Very cool! Thanks for sharing ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

iceman

Happy birthday Ken. That is one heck of a chuck wagon!!!  :)

seemore

WOW great looking chuck wagon ..keep it up Ken thanks squirt....
seemore