• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Mmmmm Kielbasa......

Started by Mr Walleye, March 25, 2011, 07:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Walleye

Mike

I did another batch (75 lbs) of my favorite Kielbasa recipe today. I didn't get any pictures during the process, just the finished product.

This is a picture of my favorite sausage makin' apron!
Thanks again Ice! This baby has made lots of sausage and still looks white!  ;D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

pikeman_95

Mike

did you get your stuffer done? That is one heck of a good looking load. I just can't quit looking at that sausage. It could be I spent a week at my daughters vegan home no meat at all.
Kirby

Mr Walleye

Quote from: pikeman_95 on March 25, 2011, 07:53:29 PM
Mike

did you get your stuffer done? That is one heck of a good looking load.

Hi Kirby

I had a little time and got my 6" schedule 40 PVC ordered and most of the various fittings. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I'll be able to get at it.

pfowl01

Mike,
Very nice sausage........I think you said once that you finish them in a hot water bath?.......Is that right? If you do...how do you go about that? Do you have probe in the sausage while your bathing it?

Mr Walleye

Quote from: GusRobin on March 25, 2011, 07:52:22 PM
share the recipe?

No problem Gus

Mike's Kielbasa
Based on a 20 lb batch

Meat

10 lbs of ground Pork (80/20)
10 lbs of lean ground Beef (80/20)

Ingredients

3 cups ice water
8 Tbs of Kosher Salt
2 Tbs of White Sugar
3 Tbs (heaping) Course Black Pepper (butchers grind)
3 tsp Powdered Garlic
4 tsp (heaping) Marjoram (rubbed)
4 tsp Cayenne
4 tsp Cure #1

Notes

- If mixed in blender, leave out Pepper and Marjoram (& Mustard Seed if used) to keep from
 grinding the spices and add in after blending.
- Stuff into casings.
- Allow casing to hang to dry.
- Smoke with Hickory for 3 to 4 hours.
- Drop into 160 degree water bath until 155 degree IT.
- Hang to Bloom for 2 hours.
- Cut and vacuum seal.

Option

¾ to 1 Cup Mustard Seed

Mike

pikeman_95

It sounds like I should have sent you the tube with the other parts. That sausage looks like my summer sausage when it comes out of the smoker. lots of mustared seed and cracked black pepper. It sure looks good.

NePaSmoKer

DAYUM

Mike thats fantastic.

And TYVM for sharing the recipe

Mr Walleye

Quote from: pfowl01 on March 25, 2011, 08:01:47 PM
Mike,
Very nice sausage........I think you said once that you finish them in a hot water bath?.......Is that right? If you do...how do you go about that? Do you have probe in the sausage while your bathing it?

Ever since Kirby (Pikeman_95) put me onto the hot water bath method I have never turned back. I use a 64 litre stock pot with about 10 gallons of water in it on a turkey fryer burner. I crank the burner up high to bring the water to temp. Once it is at 160 degrees I can idle it back to low and it maintains the temp nicely this way. I use my Thermapen and a pair of long tongs to simply lift the sausage to check it with the Thermapen. I typically throw about 20 to 25 lbs in this setup at a time to bring them up to temp.

Mike

Mr Walleye

Quote from: pikeman_95 on March 25, 2011, 08:02:42 PM
It sounds like I should have sent you the tube with the other parts. That sausage looks like my summer sausage when it comes out of the smoker. lots of mustared seed and cracked black pepper. It sure looks good.

Kirby

I thought I would have found some of the 6" PVC around here but I had no luck and had to order it.

No big deal though, I really haven't had time to get at it anyway. Soon though!  ;)

I'll keep you posted Kirby.

Mike

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Mr Walleye

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on March 25, 2011, 08:07:49 PM
DAYUM

Mike thats fantastic.

And TYVM for sharing the recipe

Thanks Rick.

I just wish I had the time to make sausage as often as you.  8)  :D
You've been posting a lot of good lookin' "snausage" lately yourself!  ;)

Mike

lumpy

Thats a great idea Mike about throwing the sausage in the water. Sure would save lots of time in the BDS.
I've been noticing lately that my BDS (dual element) has a few hot spots that can overcook some of the meat. I either need to get a proofer like some of the guys or add a circulating fan.

Not sure which way to go.

BTW............great job!

Lumpy

Habanero Smoker

Wow!! That is some of the nicest looking kielbasa I have every seen.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pfowl01

QuoteEver since Kirby (Pikeman_95) put me onto the hot water bath method I have never turned back. I use a 64 litre stock pot with about 10 gallons of water in it on a turkey fryer burner. I crank the burner up high to bring the water to temp. Once it is at 160 degrees I can idle it back to low and it maintains the temp nicely this way. I use my Thermapen and a pair of long tongs to simply lift the sausage to check it with the Thermapen. I typically throw about 20 to 25 lbs in this setup at a time to bring them up to temp.

Mike,
Sounds good..........at what temp do you pull them from the bradley? Looks like you let them bloom in your garage...what temp is your garage at? Oh ya, if your finishing in a hot water bath I suppose you don't give them a cold shower do you?