Cleaning the SS

Started by Brabus, September 14, 2005, 05:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brabus

Now that I've used the SS once, it's all brown on the inside. I don't mind it this way, but how often should I clean the smoker? Everytime?

Also, how should I clean the vent area? It's super black with smoke!

psdubl07

Here's an old post regarding cleaning.  You will probably do something in between Chez's and Oldman's suggestions.
http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1916

Don't worry about the black inside, it's seasoning!  You probably will want to remove the screw and pop the vent off for cleaning though, especially after a long smoke.

Brabus

thanks, that's a really good post. I got some good info off of that.

I think I will make sure the vent has enough to let out smoke so it won't backfire through the generator

nsxbill

Don't use stainless steel cleaner.  Just use mild soap and water for outside of the cabinet.  The stainless steel cabinets are from China.  SS is cheap.  Even magnet will latch on, telling you how cheap it is.  

I have two of the SS cabinets.  The older one is showing rust...how tacky for a stainless steel unit!  Wayne Bradley offered to replace it..I didn't bother.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Brabus

I agree with the cheapness... not true 18/10 SS... I mean, I was kinda shocked actually how the magnet on the back of my thermom stuck the the Bradley SS.

Oh well, that explains the price difference between the regular and the SS. I thought to myself that $50 is quite cheap for SS upgrade

charlie

I was told to only wipe the juices from the smoker walls, not to use cleaner. If you do decide to use cleaner, do another season smoke afterwards. Always keep the vent in the top slightly open when smoking so the smoke doesn't flow too much through the generator for the smoke residue is sticky.

manxman

I wipe the outside of my SS smoker with mild soap and damp cloth as nxsbill says from time to time.

I have found giving the exterior a wipe over with a bit of light oil such a lubricating oil seems to offer some protection against the elements, only a very fine coat though. Only reckon it needs this every few months.

Not too worried about cosmetic appearance but it sure makes it look good too!!

Manxman.
Manxman

CLAREGO

WD 40 shines ss real nice... thats the trick of retail on there ss lp grills!