• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Careful when replacing element on a dual mod

Started by jimmyb, March 30, 2011, 07:31:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmyb

I had my original element go bad after I modified my OBS with a second element. Mod went well but when I swapped out the original element I guess it wasn't seated fully in the ceramic piece. I proceeded to tighten the screws and *crack*. The ceramic cover cracked on me. All seems to be relatively secure but I ordered a new one from Y&P.

The problem is that on the one side of smoker where there are two wires coming through for the original heater element, the ho;e in the ceramic piece does not seem to be big enough to accommodate the extra wire for the new element. It is really tough to get it all to fit so the original element is seated properly. Just a work of caution and also wondering if anyone had to make that hole a little bigger to fit all three wires.

Mortikahn

When I recently did my dual element mod, I noticed this same problem.
A quick touch with a dremel tool and a metal cutting bit, and I was able to make a wire exit hole, hopefully preventing the ceramic from cracking later.
I came, I saw, I smoked it.

GusRobin

The instructions state that you should grind the ceremic to make a groove for the wire to fit through similar to what Mortikahn did.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

jimmyb

Quote from: GusRobin on March 30, 2011, 10:04:39 AM
The instructions state that you should grind the ceremic to make a groove for the wire to fit through similar to what Mortikahn did.

Yes, I did make the groove but this is a different issue. This is the exit hole that the wire is fed through in the inner/back ceramic piece as the wire exits the box. The groove is made in the outer ceramic piece. I think the inner ceramic piece which already has a hole in it need to be made a bit wider to accommodate the extra wire.

GusRobin

I didn't have a problem getting the wire through except when I mistakenly put the connector on first then tried to get it thru the hole. (good thing I bought extra connectors). Once I cut the connectector off I had no problem putting the wire thru. What guage wire did you use?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

jimmyb

It's not really the wire. The tail of the connectors on the original element go into the hole also. That is the main issue

Habanero Smoker

I did not have that problem, and I used 12 gauge wire for my second element. There may have been a slight change in the design of the ceramic fitting.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

jimmyb

What happens (an this could be user error0 is the element does not seat properly in the ceramic fitting. Then when you put the top fitting on it does not meet the bottom fitting and if I screw down too tight, the top fitting cracks. I think the element isn't seating properly because of the tail of the connector not fitting in the hole.

So I got a new fitting and it still isn't flush against the bottom fitting but I think it's ok that way.

Mr Walleye

I didn't have any problem when I originally designed the dual element mod. The only possibility I can think of is as Habs stated, maybe they changed the casting of the ceramic insulator over the years.

I know you do have to be careful when tightening the ceramic caps. If you tighten them too much or not evenly you can easily crack them.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

TedEbear

Quote from: jimmyb on March 30, 2011, 07:31:37 AMJust a work of caution and also wondering if anyone had to make that hole a little bigger to fit all three wires.

All three wires???  On my dual element there's only one short wire that goes from each end of the second element back to the first element.  I cut a little groove in one half of the ceramic insulator for it.  Then there's just one more wire that goes from the first element on each end out the back of the cabinet.  I'm not picturing this 3 wire thing.

jimmyb

yes, I have two red wires going to the original element on the left side. I added mine which is the third.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: jimmyb on March 31, 2011, 11:22:40 AM
yes, I have two red wires going to the original element on the left side. I added mine which is the third.

For the OBS, the reason there are two wires on that side (prior to the mod), is that one wire goes to the power source and the second wire goes to the temperature controller. On my smoker; which is older, it had one red and one white wire; prior to making the modification. After the mod there are three wires on that side.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)