• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Still Confused

Started by bubbagump, September 16, 2005, 02:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bubbagump

Hi All,

O.K., so when is it actually necessary to cure meat prior to smoking. I've read a lot about curing, and the danger zone, and the little critters that can grow if food is left lingering in the danger zone too long. But I haven't seen curing mentioned much when others are discussing their long smokes.

Take brisket for instance. I've read where these could take 12 hours or more to cook. With a smoke, or cook, that long isn't there the risk of the meat sitting in the danger zone too long. Are these cuts of meat cured prior to purchase, or are you curing them yourself, or do these cuts of meat get above 140 within the first 4 hours and then take much longer to hit 185 -190.

I guess I'm still a little foggy on this one. Maybe someone can recommend a good book on this subject.

Thanks,

Bubbagump

BigSmoker

bubba,
don't worry about curing most things.  Especially pork butt and brisket.  They cook to such a high internal temp being poisoned isn't likely unless you cook it at to low a temp.  I would think 190°f would be the lowest temp.  Check this link for food hygiene.  The same site has lots of info on brining and curing too.  It was all put together by dedicated members of this forum[:D].  Happy Smokin'.

For Bubba

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.