• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Casing question

Started by devo, April 06, 2011, 04:31:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

devo

Tomorrow I plan on sending my summer sausage to the smoker. I used Clear Synthetic Fibrous Beef Summer Sausage Casings from sausage maker . com . What I was wondering if I had to go with 1 1/2 hours to dry the casings out? Seems kind of a waist of time since they have been in the fridge over night and are dry but maybe they need to be even dryer. So do I dry for 1 1/2 hours or just start smoking right from the start?

Sailor

If you take right out of the fridge and into the smoker I think you will end up with condensation.  Just like taking a glass of cold water out of the fridge the outside of the glass will get damp.  Running a drying session will just make sure that the moisture on the casing is gone.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: devo on April 06, 2011, 04:31:30 PM
Tomorrow I plan on sending my summer sausage to the smoker. I used Clear Synthetic Fibrous Beef Summer Sausage Casings from sausage maker . com . What I was wondering if I had to go with 1 1/2 hours to dry the casings out? Seems kind of a waist of time since they have been in the fridge over night and are dry but maybe they need to be even dryer. So do I dry for 1 1/2 hours or just start smoking right from the start?

Just dry for an hour at 130. This will make the casings tacky for the smoke to stick to. Did you soak the casings prior to stuffing?

devo

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on April 06, 2011, 05:10:11 PM
Quote from: devo on April 06, 2011, 04:31:30 PM

Just dry for an hour at 130. This will make the casings tacky for the smoke to stick to. Did you soak the casings prior to stuffing?

Yes I did Napa
The recipe called for two days in the fridge before throwing it into the smoker. Thought I would pull it from the fridge in the morning before I drove my son to school. About 1 hour round trip so I thought it would be at room temp by the time I get back. Just want to get this right as this is the first SS for me.

pikeman_95

Make sure that it is warmed well before you hit the smoke or it will sweat like crazy. Not good. Man Don you are a smoking machine lately.