• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Seasoned Binders

Started by CoreyMac, April 07, 2011, 04:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoreyMac

I noticed the butcher supply down the street from my place now has seasoned sausage binders. Anybody have any experience with these? I have always just used powdered milk but wondering if these will just make things taste better? They have at least 20 different flavours for the various types of sausage. Doesn't really say any specific spices just eg "ham sausage binder"

They are pretty cheap too 5 pounds is only about 15 bucks, may have to just get some for a sample.

Oh, one more question, whats better powdered jalapeno or dry flakes? They have both as well.

Corey

jiggerjams

Hey CM,

Sounds like you have access to a mice little shop there. Not sure which is better regarding jalapeno powder or flakes, I think it depends on what you want. Do you want a steady heat/flavor all the way through (powder)? or do you want to get hits of heat/flavor from the jalapeno (flakes)? That's what being stuck in this head thinks anyway.

NePaSmoKer

Thats sounds like a good idea. But IMHO if you added seasoned binder to ingredients that already seasoned that would major over power the taste of the sausage. Maybe its just me.

Unless they are trying to make it a pre mixed just add to meat type no other ingredients needed item.

CoreyMac

I was thinking the same thing about a seasoned binder altering a recipe if you have it perfect. I may get some for a test, just to see what happens. It's probably a situation that if you add some seasoned binder you have to back off of certain other spices to get the same taste, which gets you no where.

As far as the jalapeno, thanks Jigger good point about the type of heat, makes perfect sense. I guess if they worked the same there would be only one type. Guess I'll have to get both kinds.

Ya, this supplier is great, place called Unipac, I've been buying casing from them for years but I just notice they are selling spices in small quantities. They usually supply to businesses. Best thing for me is they are a block from the house.

Corey

ArnieM

Get a sample if you can.  If not, well you're into 5 pounds.

Mix it up in the proper proportion to a half pound of meat.  Make 2 or 3 patties, fry them up and see what they taste like.  This should give some idea of how much of your 'regular' spives you want to use.

Also, the Jal for example, is a single flavor.  I'd assume you'd want to add additional spices to round out the flavor.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.