• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Newbie Using Fermento??

Started by lmcgrew02, April 08, 2011, 06:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lmcgrew02

Hey everyone.  A newbie to the forum but have owned my bradley OBS since 2007.  I have a question about using fermento.  I have used fermento in beef summer sausage but I have yet to get it tangy enough yet. I am trying to go for a tangier taste on a batch of deer summer sausage.  I go with a 70/30 deer to pork ratio when I make summer sausage.  I am going to make a 10 lb batch. Can I use fermento in deer summer sausage? How much would I use for a 10 lb batch? Any input would help!!

devo

I too would love to hear how to make SS more tangy. The batch I just made was a big disappointment to me. Bought the SS mix from sausagemaker and bought the fermento at the same time because I wanted a little zip to the SS. It came out with no taste even sitting for two days in the fridge. It sure needs to be kicked up a few notches. Good thing I have a few differant mustards to put on it. If I make this again i'm going to add my own spices and fry some up before I smoke it to make sure it has some taste to it.

Habanero Smoker

With fermento there are a couple of ways to increase the tang. You can use the same amount as you have been using, and increase the time you hold the sausage at 110°F - 120°F for about 4 hours.

Or you can increase the amount of fermento, but do not go over 6% of the green weight of the meat & fat, or it will break down the meat and your sausage will become mushy and the taste will be altered.

The average amount to add is 3%, which come out to about 1/2 ounce of fermento per pound of meat & fat, the maximum you want to add is about 1 ounce per pound which would give you 6%.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

lmcgrew02

Thanks Habanero! I made up 5lb test batch of jalapeno and cheddar deer summer sausage with a 70/30 deer to pork ratio.  I  used 2.5 oz. of fermento on this batch.  The only other time I have used fermento is in Nepas beef slim jim recipe.  I will post pics if I can figure out how to post them.

pikeman_95

Quote from: devo on April 09, 2011, 02:25:38 AM
I too would love to hear how to make SS more tangy. The batch I just made was a big disappointment to me. Bought the SS mix from sausagemaker and bought the fermento at the same time because I wanted a little zip to the SS. It came out with no taste even sitting for two days in the fridge. It sure needs to be kicked up a few notches. Good thing I have a few differant mustards to put on it. If I make this again i'm going to add my own spices and fry some up before I smoke it to make sure it has some taste to it.

Don check your PM

devo

NePaSmoKer

This is easy.

Tang with fermento use 1 oz per lb of meat. No need to frige or hold for long periods. Mix stuff smoke.

Better tang than fermento.

Bactoferm F-RM-52 or LHP. These will require a hang time to ferment before smokeing and are mixed 1/8 tsp into some water and set aside before adding into the meat. 1/8 tsp per every 5 lbs of meat. Bactoferm is small packets kept in your freezer.

OR

ECA

pikeman_95

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on April 10, 2011, 05:37:01 AM
This is easy.

Tang with fermento use 1 oz per lb of meat. No need to frige or hold for long periods. Mix stuff smoke.

Bactoferm F-RM-52 or LHP. These will require a hang time to ferment before smokeing and are mixed 1/8 tsp into some water and set aside before adding into the meat. 1/8 tsp per every 5 lbs of meat. Bactoferm is small packets kept in your freezer.

OR

ECA

when you say Tang are you talking the orange drink.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: pikeman_95 on April 10, 2011, 05:46:19 AM
Quote from: NePaSmoKer on April 10, 2011, 05:37:01 AM
This is easy.

OR

ECA

when you say Tang are you talking the orange drink.

Houston we have a problem  :D

devo

The recipe from saugagemaker called for 6 OZ. per 10lbs. So I just followed the recipe. I noticed on the fermento instructions not to go over the 1oz. per 1lb ratio. Going to try Kirbys recipe next time. Right now i'm frying this SS up in the frying pan with gunpowder. Tastes a whole lot better that way.

pikeman_95

Sounds like your SS would probably make good lunch meat. I like a stronger flavor for eating with cheese and crackers but for Lunch meat sandwiches I like a more mild sausage. You can always add things to a sammy to kick it up. have you tried some of the coarse ground mustared with horseradish in it. I love it on a Sammy. Give my recipe a try and add the extra garlic I mentioned and I think you will like it. 

Kirby

NePaSmoKer

Its a whole nuther tangy ballgame  ;D

pikeman_95

Rick
are you mixing a little something special in your Tang this morning?? ;D

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: pikeman_95 on April 10, 2011, 07:20:08 AM
Rick
are you mixing a little something special in your Tang this morning?? ;D

:D  :D

Yeah its call a shot of Bailys in my coffee  :D

lmcgrew02

Thanks everyone for the input.  The jalapeno and cheddar summer sausage turned out great. I will post some pics of it later when I slice it and food saver it.  Using bactoform is going to be a future project someday! Always have wanted to try it.