• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Slow to temp...

Started by radamo, April 09, 2011, 04:42:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

radamo

Hi all,
New owner here and trying to get my feet smoked (er... wet).  I just got my OBS last night and it really is a nice looking piece of equipment.  I assembled and did my first run last night to season the smoke box.  The instructions advised that the temp of 150 would be reached in about 10 minutes. After 10 minutes I was not even at 80.  I slid the slider over a bit and let it go another 7 minutes or so and next time I looked it was about 175.  I was then able to back off to the middle and maintain 150.  Is this normal?  Just want to make sure all is good.  I did use cold water in the pan and also it was about 45 degrees last night. 

I am doing my first batch of ribs today and yes, I know, everyone loves pictures... :-)   Hope I don't disappoint.

RA

devo

Depending on where you have your smoker counts on the temp swings. Try to keep out of the wind is one thing for sure. And yes the cold water probably came into play till it heated up. Bradleys are good smokers but the temp settings are hit or miss. Alot of people add a second element and PID controller. Do a search on adding a second element.

radamo

Yes, I saw the second element mod and the pid mod.  At some point I am sure I will do both.  Just want to get used to the original config first.
Thanks,
RA

wyoduke

I have a OBS and i just preheat with the slide all the way to the right. oh and hot water will help,you will geta feel for it they are a great cooker
1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

radamo

I guess maybe the instruction book gives people unreal expectations.  It says to put the slider to medium and wait 10 minutes and the temp should be 150.  In 20 minutes maybe, but certainly not 10.
RA