smoking bacon

Started by sunny2000usausa, September 20, 2005, 01:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunny2000usausa

hi all.
Just cut up the six pigs. (the new vaccum sealer worked awsome- it better anyhow for the price).  Anyway we decided not to try and smoke the hams this year and we still have not found a recipe for a brine but did keep 2 bacons out and will try and smoke them.  So if anyone has any suggestion or recipes for curing and smoking from start to finish I would be happy to recieve any or all and we will review..   Love to all. Sunny[:)]

Habanero Smoker

What type of sealer did you purchase?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

whitetailfan

I recommend <font color="blue">Mallard Wackers Bacon Thesis</font id="blue">
It has a sticky on this curing topic so it never gets lost.

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

sunny2000usausa

Koch 250 vaccum sealer (commerical).

sunny2000usausa

Whitetail.   Is this a brine recipe?   Hubby said that is the only thing he is looking for.   I printed it out for him anyhow.   Just need to verify it.

whitetailfan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sunny2000usausa</i>
<br />Whitetail.   <font color="red">Is this a brine recipe?</font id="red">   Hubby said that is the only thing he is looking for.   I printed it out for him anyhow.   Just need to verify it.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Sorry sunny,
This is process only.  Mallard uses maple cure from Butcher and Packer.

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Oldman

On the recipe site there is some information from 3men.com At that bottom of this link is a link to their site if you needed to ask any questions.

Bacon By 3men.com

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

CLAREGO

i have used the high mountain cure with excellent results used 5lb of fresh bacon (belly) cured it eight days flip it once in the brine and smoked it till desired temp worked great! i think i will have to cold smoke some this winter

CLAREGO

sunny2000usausa

Hi all

Just wanted to let you know that I just put to side porks into brines for attempts for our very first bacons.  I will let you know how they turn out.

Sunny [:)]

sunny2000usausa

hi all, sorry it took so long to get back. Alot of things have been happening to me.
The bacon turned out good.[:X]
I injected the bacon first and than soaked it for 7 days in a brown sugar wet brine, turning it every other day and than rinsed it off and dryed it really good before my husband put it in the smoker.
He used hickory with a small amount of cherry and ___[?]____ sawdust for smoking.  Smoked it for approx 6 hours with the temp never getting below 180. and maintained an internal temp of the thickest part of the meat of 160 degrees.  I found the brine from LEM Products.  Everyone that we have had tried the bacon really liked it.
We ended up smoking 33 pounds of bacon altogether.[:)]

On a lighter note for all of you that read my posting yesterday. My fourth grandchild was born today at 12:16 pm . A girl (Madison) weighing 6# 13.8 oz. 18.5 inches long. She was 4 weeks early.  Mom and baby are doing well and should be home tomorrow.[8D]

sunny2000usausa

hi all, sorry it took so long to get back. Alot of things have been happening to me.
The bacon turned out good.[:X]
I injected the bacon first and than soaked it for 7 days in a brown sugar wet brine, turning it every other day and than rinsed it off and dryed it really good before my husband put it in the smoker.
He used hickory with a small amount of cherry and ___[?]____ sawdust for smoking.  Smoked it for approx 6 hours with the temp never getting below 180. and maintained an internal temp of the thickest part of the meat of 160 degrees.  I found the brine from LEM Products.  Everyone that we have had tried the bacon really liked it.
We ended up smoking 33 pounds of bacon altogether.[:)]

On a lighter note for all of you that read my posting yesterday. My fourth grandchild was born today at 12:16 pm . A girl (Madison) weighing 6# 13.8 oz. 18.5 inches long. She was 4 weeks early.  Mom and baby are doing well and should be home tomorrow.[8D]

JVR

Congrats on the new grandchild!