• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

paprika question

Started by Gordon, September 20, 2005, 05:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon

I gotta make my own rub.  The salt content of store bought is killing me. Literally.

So, my question is:  The rub I have been using (Durkees' Chicken and Rib Rub) says that it uses paprika, but the color of the rub is more orange than red.  Is there a type of paprika that is a more orange hue?  I am planning on using salt substitute, I am not sure if that sort of thing would make a difference or not for a brine, but I don't brine anything because of the salt anyway.  I am sure the salt substitute will help with the large quantities of chicken I consume now.

Thanks for your help - and if there are any spice websites you have bookmarked, feel free to include them.

Gordo

What a piece of work is man!

whitetailfan

Chez pointed out to me one time that there are several different lines of paprika.  Sorry I can't help narrow this down for you, but I would definitely search the spice and also browse as many cooking or recipe sites as you can find or have time for.

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

bgfntk

There are 6 or 7 kinds of paprika, ranging from sweet to hot. Some are lighter in color than others as well, I've even seen a yellow paprika. But don't let the color of the rub fool you, just because it is not red may mean it uses less paprika. With other white spices mixed in like salt, garlic and onion powder it may appear orange.

Scott

"I love animals. They taste good!"

Oldman

If this image is close to the color you whan then try this link: IMPORTED AUTHENTIC HUNGARIAN PAPRIKA

If you cannot find what you want you might consider contacting vegtable seed companies. Grow your own. Peppers are almost to easy to grow. Just stay way from the hybrids. A good place to start would be Seed Savers they have a contact link at the bottom. I have gotten seeds from them in the past and never had a problem.

Good luck!

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

calatexmex

I'm with Old's. I alway's use sweet Hungarian paprika in my rubs.

Mike C

BigSmoker

Penzy's or one of the other places sells a smoked paprika that I hear is quite good(could smoke your own if you grew the peppers).  Other than that hungarian would be my pick.
<i>EDIT:</i>Here is the link to a bunch of spice retailersSpices
Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

calatexmex

I get my spices from //www.thespicehouse.com Pretty good prices and quality spices. I usually get whole spices and roast and grind my own. I have tried the smoked paprika. It is usually spanish paprika. It is good. I use that on other dishes besides the ones that I am going to smoke. For all my barbecue rubs I use sweet Hungarian. You will get enough smoke flavor from the cooking.

Mike C

Gordon

Thanks!  I have research the hungarian, and bookmarked it!

I will wait to order until Rita makes it past my neck of the woods....

What a piece of work is man!

Oldman

Good luck with Rita! We are just getting rain here in light bans.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

seabjorn

The smoked hot Spanish paprika, as Calatexmex says, is really good with dishes that aren't going to be smoked, like paella, but the sweet paprika, either Spanish (dulce) or Hungarian would probably be best for a rub.  As with any spices paprika will lose its potency in just a few months after opening the can or jar, so be sure to use it quickly.  I've had good success with Penzy for fresh spices.
Bjorn

Oldman

Greetings seabjorn,

Welcome to the forums. I see you have posted a few times but this was the first time I seen your name....welcome!

Olds

seabjorn

Hey, thanks, Olds, glad to be on board.  I've been very impressed with the generous sharing of knowledge and experience that everyone posts and am looking forward to a lot of use with my BS.  Spareribs this weekend and if I turn off the football long enough maybe even some smoked oysters.
Bjorn