Here's an Awesome Turkey Jerky Recipe!!!

Started by Cope30tyee, April 17, 2011, 09:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cope30tyee

Hey guys,

I was fortunate enough to harvest a rope daddy opening day here in WA.  I just put it in the marinade below and got to thinking I should share this one.  The last several years I've been making the breasts into jerky.  The recipe I have is awesome!!!  I have pretty much all my friends giving me their birds every year asking me to make it for them.  I thought I would share the recipe.  Here it is!!!

2.5 pounds thinly sliced turkey breasts
4 T. Sugar
1 T. Table Grind Black Pepper
1 T. Garlic Powder
1 t. salt
1/2 t. cure #1  
2 T. Worchestershire
1 T. Johnny's Seasoning
2 t. Red Pepper Flakes
1 C. Water

Just mix this all together and combine with the sliced turkeys breasts overnight.  Then smoke/dehydrate as you would normal jerky.  You are sure to be pleased!!!!  Let me know if you have any questions.  Also, please let me know if you like it (I'm sure you will!)

Cope30tyee

Just finished up my batch.  MMMMMMmmmmm good!!!  Sweet and a little spicy!!!! I used about 20 minutes of applewood and it turned out great.

squirtthecat

Sounds good!   Might try that with store bought turkey breast cutlets..

ghost9mm

Hey!!! thanks for the recipe my friend, sounds great and will let you know how it turns out...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Cope30tyee

Anybody give this one a try yet.  I brought some to work a couple of days ago and everyone said it was the greatest jerky they have ever had!!!  I think you guys will enjoy it.

wb

Hello,   i just got a turkey this season and decided to try and make jerky out of it.  i have never made jerky before so i have afew questions...What is cure #1 and johnnys seasoning?  also how long and at what temp do you have your smoker set at?  i plan to cut up the whole turkey (legs and all).  gutted and skined its a 11 pound bird so i know ill have to modify the recipie as far as the quanity goes,  when you cut it up into strips are they like 1/4 in thick or so?  if i manage to get most of it in the smoker is 20 min of smoke all you need?

thanks for any help, when i'm ready to do this ill post my procedure before i go ahead with it to make sure i do it right.

Habanero Smoker

Hi WB;

Welcome to the forum.

I can't help you with what is Johnny seasoning, but I'm sure if you google you will find it.

As for cure #1; the following link describes most cures used in the U.S.; just scroll until you get to Cure #1.
Curing Salts

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

jiggerjams

I received Johnny's in the Christmas exchange this year. It is a seasoning salt like Lawry's. At least what I got is.

squirtthecat

Quote from: jiggerjams on May 11, 2011, 06:46:39 AM
I received Johnny's in the Christmas exchange this year. It is a seasoning salt like Lawry's. At least what I got is.

Yep, Johnny's is like Lawry's.  Just a slightly difference taste.  (personally, I prefer Johnny's to Lawry's)

Johnny's Dock is a restaurant in Tacoma, WA.  They also carry a whole selection of spices/seasoned salts/dressings.

http://www.johnnysfinefoods.com/

OU812

I know this aint on topic but I've had the Johnnys Fench Dip Au Jus Sauce and it ROCKS.  ;D

digitalsmoker

Cope30tyee

I've only made it with the breasts.  I slice it about 3/16 inch thick with the grain.  Johnny's is a seasoning salt and they sell it at any major grocery store.  It takes me about 1.5 to 2 hours to dry it.  I then throw all of it in a zip loc bag and let it sit over night.  You will love it.  I'm not sure about using any meat but the breasts, but you can give it a try.  Let me know how you like it.  Also, I only apply smoke for about 20 minutes as you don't want to apply too much smoke flavor.  My best results have been with hickory and apple.  Keep the temp at about 180.

wb

Well i made my turkey jerkey....came out pretty good, i only did one breast because i found out how time consuming it is to slice up an entire breast and i got lazy.  i tripled the recipe thinking i was going to do the whole bird but that didnt happen.  while in the smoker i found out that its really hot in the back because most of the meat that was in the back got way too dry even up at the top rack.  the first piece i ate i thought to myself....do i really like this....i must have because i ate every thing that was on the bottom rack.  all in all it wasnt bad, some pieces were incredibly salty some perfect...i just need more practice.  i think i will try a different recipe for the other breast, maybe your teryaki one.....i like how the heat lingers after your done eating with this recipe.  by the way the legs and thighs on a wild turkey (all muscle) dont make great jerkey...at least not yet.    I'm starting a brisket tonight for tomorrows dinner,  hopefully that goes without a hitch.

Cope30tyee

You tripled the recipe for only one breast?  You should have halved the recipe.  Anyway, the other recipe is foolproof.  I would stick to breasts only for jerky. 

wb

yeah i trippled it because i was planning on doing the whole bird, but wasnt patient enough to cut it into strips so just did one breast and thigh.  i must say it taste even better today.