Benefits of the digital smokers

Started by MrRaven, April 18, 2011, 03:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrRaven

Hey guys

First off, I am new to this forum. I do not have a smoker. I have done some basic smoking in my Napoleon Propane grill with wood chips.

I am interested in getting a smoker and I see that Canadian Tire has the Bradley smokers on sale - http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2/OutdoorLiving/BBQs/Smokers/PRD~0851780P/Bradley%252BDigital%252BSmoker/CROSSSELL~0780026%20Bradley%2BSmoker.jsp?locale=en

I am wondering what the benefits are of the digital smokers over the regular ones. The bradley digital smoker is $100 more, which is really not THAT much more, but I am wondering how it improves the smoking experience.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

oakville smoker

I have a digital 4 rack that I bought on sale at Crappy Tire
I like the set it and forget it aspect of the digital
All in all, the both probably do pretty much the same thing

Since I have not owned a non digital, its hard tos ay how it would compare

There might be someone on the forum who has experience with both
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

GusRobin

Don't have the digital, just the OBS. If you are thinking of the 4 rack digital, I would get the OBS and buy a Auber dual pid to control temp. Chances are if youwant to do sausage, salmon, and other temp sensitive cooks you will end up getting a PID or wishing you had one.
If you need the space of a 6 rack, then digital is your only choice.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

viper125

By the way Amazon has the OEB for 269.00 free shipping
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

3rensho

I too have an OBS with a PID.  I'd make the same choice today, five years after I bought my OBS originally.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

RAF128

The idea of the digital is great.     Set the time.   Set the temp.   Forget about it.   It does everything.     Well not quite.   Turns out there is a lot of temp fluctuation.    The PID eliminates that but adds to the expense so maybe an OBS with the PID is the way to go.    I had an OBS and you had to play with it to get the right temp using the slider.   A PID would have been great.    I have since bought a 6 rack for the extra room and height and they only come in digital.   As I said there's a lot of temp fluctuation so I've bought a PID.   Now I've got everything I need and want, well almost ;).
The bottom line is you're looking at a great smoker and you have choices to make.

beefmann

I own the obs with a digital timer and pid  which makes it a digital, the nice thing of the digital or having precise temperature control is that you can dial the temp where you  like  and it will maintain it with in a few degrees  and not have to worry about wild temperature swings.

if it was me id go with the 4 rack and pid, unless you need the room of the 6 rack

typically the 4 rack can hold 40 lbs of food  while the 6 rack is great for  smoking sausages

hope this  helps

KyNola

I have owned a BDS for around 4 years and just bought a PID for it as I got tired of the temp swings and going to begin making sausage pretty soon.  In hindsight I would definitely buy the OBS and add a PID.

lumpy

I own a digital and a PID. Should have gone with the original. With the PID, all the BDS has is fancy blinking lights that don't tell me anything.

ghost9mm

What Lumpy said, the temperature swings with BDS are just to much, adding the PID dual makes things alot easier...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

TedEbear

Quote from: MrRaven on April 18, 2011, 03:10:30 PMI am wondering what the benefits are of the digital smokers over the regular ones. The bradley digital smoker is $100 more, which is really not THAT much more, but I am wondering how it improves the smoking experience.

I recommend the OBS and a do-it-yourself PID from Auberins.  The DIY version is less than $45 and even with all the parts to do the install you're looking at less than 1/2 the cost of the plug-n-play unit.  That's what I have and the dual element mod.  Smoking is way easier now no matter what the outside temp, sun or wind is doing.

viper125

Don't see any instructions for building on their site.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

jiggerjams

Before you buy at CT check this place out and see if it works for you.

www.lebaron.ca

They are the cheapest I can find for smokers and pucks.

Chili Head

Howdy MrRaven  ;)  Welcome to the forums.
I have the 4 rack digital and love it! For doing ribs, brisket, butts and poultry the digital without a pid has suited me just fine. You dont need extreme tight temp control doing those. If you venture into sausages/snack sticks ect. you will need a pid. Ive just started making snack sticks/brats ect in the last couple of months and without a pid it's a PITA!! You'll constantly be adjusting your temps every 5-10 minutes. A pid is on my list of things to buy this year.

TedEbear

Quote from: viper125 on April 19, 2011, 10:17:14 AM
Don't see any instructions for building on their site.

Try here:  Bradley PID Controller DIY Install

I have the one in the how-to and installed it in the smoker generator box.  Very neat, compact, inexpensive and not a bunch of wires running all over the place.