Teriyaki Jerky

Started by WISmoker, April 19, 2011, 11:13:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WISmoker

Stumbled upon this recipe.  What do you all think?  Don't feel like wasting 5lbs of beef if nobody has tried it or if the recipe looks suspect....Looks sound to me....Let me know your thoughts? 

Here's a good recipe for teriyaki jerky. This is for 5 pounds of meat.

1 cup of Mr. Yoshida's sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons Morton Tender Quick
1-1/2 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder

Thanks!

WI Smoker

NePaSmoKer

Sounds good but if your going to smoke this 1 1/2 tsp of MTQ aint enough.

Fernslinger

Why use the Morton Tender Quick at all? Is this just if you plan on storing the product for a while?

muebe

I would say skip the MTQ and use about 1tsp of cure#1 if you plan on using a cure. It sounds like the marinade will have a good amount of salt and if you use the amount of MTQ required for 5lbs it might end up too salty.

Are you going to go straight to the dehydrator or smoke in the Bradley?
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

WISmoker

I will be using 1 level tsp of Cure #1 as a sub for MTQ...I will be doing it all in the smoker.  Doesn't it seem like there should be more liquid in the marinade?  1 cup of Yoshida's for 5 lbs of meat...with no other liquid...seems light.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: WISmoker on April 19, 2011, 12:04:45 PM
I will be using 1 level tsp of Cure #1 as a sub for MTQ...I will be doing it all in the smoker.  Doesn't it seem like there should be more liquid in the marinade?  1 cup of Yoshida's for 5 lbs of meat...with no other liquid...seems light.

Now you got it, use the cure. Add 1 cup of water.

KyNola

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on April 19, 2011, 12:08:35 PM
Dissolve the cure #1 in the cup of water.  Combine all of the other ingredients in the teriyaki sauce and then add both liquid combos to your meat and mix well.  NePaS taught me that trick.  Will disburse all of the ingredients much more evenly in the meat.  Thanks Rick! ;)

muebe

Quote from: KyNola on April 19, 2011, 12:26:06 PM
Quote from: NePaSmoKer on April 19, 2011, 12:08:35 PM
Dissolve the cure #1 in the cup of water.  Combine all of the other ingredients in the teriyaki sauce and then add both liquid combos to your meat and mix well.  NePaS taught me that trick.  Will disburse all of the ingredients much more evenly in the meat.  Thanks Rick! ;)

Ditto! Nepas taught me that too ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

WISmoker

Perfect.  Thanks for all your help guys.  Will be mixing a batch up 2nit for tomorrow nights smoke.  Will try to get some pictures.  Made a batch of NePa's hillbilly jerky a couple weeks back.  Took pics but haven't posted yet...I will get around to it.

Thanks again! 

WISmoker

josbocc

WIS,

Where are you getting your Mr. Yoshida's from?  I'm in Northern, NY and I used to buy it by the Quart from Sam's Club..., but they stopped carrying it here.  I wouldn't be opposed to ordering in bulk (I used to use a lot of ol' Mr. Yoshida), but I haven't been able to find it.  Appreciate any info if you can.

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

SiFumar

Could be a seasonal item at your Sam's.  You might have to check often to see if it came in.  Or ask someone there.  Our Sam's here in Nevada carries the Original and Teriyaki year round, but wish they'd carry the Garlic and Cracked pepper.

WISmoker

I was planning on finding a jug at my local Costco...to no avail....So I had to improvise with Kikkoman's teriyaki marinade....I see a few spots online where you can purchase it though.

josbocc

Folks,

Sam's up here hasn't carried it in over a year..., and when I ask they just say "Keep checking."  Costco is not in Upstate NY yet (wish they were), but I'm gonna keep up the hunt.  Thanks for the info.

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

Habanero Smoker

Jeff;

Do you have a BJ's nearby. They generally have it. If you are not a member ask for a guess pass, but you will have to pay a surcharge on everything your purchase, or join the club. They give you a money back guarantee if you want to cancel your membership. Out of the three clubs, BJ's is my favorite.

What I have learned about Sam's, and probably other warehouse stores, the region you are in often dictates what the store will carry.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

digitalsmoker

How long would you smoke 10 lbs of this and how long would you let it be in there without the smoke? I was also wondering if I vac sealed it can i freeze this without it going bad? How long can I freeze jerky