• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

900 watt element installed in OBS

Started by muebe, April 26, 2011, 11:20:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Soon

I'm just curious about the advantage of the 900w from Grainger over the Bradley dual element mod. I was going to do the dual element mod and then all of the probs with defective elements showed up. I guess that's all fixed now. Still deciding which way to go.

OU812

I would go with a non fined element, thats just me, buuuut look at all the crap that builds up in your smoker.

Example; I have fans in my smoker and after a few years the fins on the blades are covered with crap.

Had to replace the blades not to long ago, they wernt pushing any more.

Just sayin.  ;D

muebe

Tested it again tonight when I got home. It took 15 minutes for the cabinet temp to go from 52F to 225F. It would take my original element about 35 to 40 minutes to reach 225F at this ambient temp. I have 3 hours on this thing and it is still working. I guess I am the guinea pig :D I will keep you guys posted...
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

devo

With all the testing you best be smoking something Muebe......don't let all that good electricity go to waist  ;D

smoker pete

Nice looking install muebe.  Watching anxiously like everyone else.  I think devo is right ... You need to start smokin some goodies, opening the door to see how it recovers, etc.  Go for it!! ;D

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

muebe

I am going to smoke a tri-tip in it this weekend. I just wanted to give it some time to fail before I try smoking anything in it ;D I do have a blower motor that I made out of a dead hand mixer(motor is still good) to use for cabinet air circulation. It is really fast and moves a ton of air while testing on the work bench. I will need to regulate the voltage to slow it down to a good RPM. I can use the smoker control part of my Auberins to power/control it since I am not using that function. The problem is installing it so that the motor will not overheat and get gummed up from smoke & humidity. My thought is to mount the motor outside on the left side of the OBS and use a gear box inside the interior wall then mount the fan inside. This is going to take some deep thinking ::) And BTW the new element has been running strong this morning for 4 more hours so far @225F ;D

BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

OU812

4 hr at 225 F, heck you could of had a bunch of chicken parts done smoked/cooked by now.  :D

ghost9mm

It really is nice when a plan comes together, there really are no limits to what we can do when we put our minds to work...unfortunately my mind is slowly fading...lol  :D
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

viper125

I dont believe you will need the fan as the fins are made to pull heat away. I am curious though did you make a deflector or cover to protect heater for grease and residue? If it would get gummed up the fins wont be able to pull the heat away and may cause a fire. Just a thought.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

muebe

I am hoping that the v-tray will help keep the element from getting too dirty but may need to install some type of protection if it needs it.

muebe

I checked the Tempco website(manufacturer of the element) and it shows that the finned element can be used in the bottom of a cabinet/oven for natural convection heat(no fan) or with a fan for a convection oven....

http://www.tempco.com/Strip%20Heaters/finned_strip_heaters.htm

Specs for "still" air setup and "moving" air...

http://www.tempco.com/Strip%20Heaters/finned_strip_std_specs.htm

viper125

curious has any one had trouble with elements over the original 500 watts going out. From what I read it seems to only be the originals.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: viper125 on April 27, 2011, 06:42:40 PM
curious has any one had trouble with elements over the original 500 watts going out. From what I read it seems to only be the originals.

I haven't!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

GusRobin

i have an OBS that I bought in Dec 2009. Bought second element and both are working fine. I think it was all a bad lot or lots that appear to have been resolved.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

muebe

Was there a lot number or manufacturing number determined to be the one on the bad elements? My old element was still working good but I am curious if it is one of the "bad" elements...