5 smokes and door fell off new smoker

Started by jdomep, April 26, 2011, 02:57:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdomep

i have a new 4 rack digital smoker. i have 5 smokes on it so far and Sunday i went to smoke some trout and the door fell off the smoker. i noticed the plastic on the bottom front cracking the past couple of months but i didnt realize the door hindge was on that plastic also. i believe the cracking is the swing in temps from cold to hot since i have been smoking in below freezing temps. anybody else have this issue? i spent 369.00 for it and its broken after 5 smokes. wow. bradley has told me that they will send out replacement parts but my concern is the exact same thing happening again next winter after the thing is out of warranty.

viper125

Hi Im new here but have read a lot. I did see a mod on here to stop that. to me it sounds like the cabinet weight is on it. Basically looks like longer legs attached in another area.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Mr Walleye

Quote from: jdomep on April 26, 2011, 02:57:00 PM
i have a new 4 rack digital smoker. i have 5 smokes on it so far and Sunday i went to smoke some trout and the door fell off the smoker. i noticed the plastic on the bottom front cracking the past couple of months but i didnt realize the door hindge was on that plastic also. i believe the cracking is the swing in temps from cold to hot since i have been smoking in below freezing temps. anybody else have this issue? i spent 369.00 for it and its broken after 5 smokes. wow. bradley has told me that they will send out replacement parts but my concern is the exact same thing happening again next winter after the thing is out of warranty.

I've been around here for a few years and there have been very few door issues with the DBS that I'm aware of. I think I remember one other them but I can't remember who it may have been. I would have Bradley make things right and carry on from there.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

devo

As for the heat and cold issue, I live in northern Ontario where the winter is 40 below one day and 30 above the next. I only got my bradley in early Jan. but use it almost twice a week. I have seen no signs of wear or cracks of any kind. Like Mr Walleye said let Bradley make it right.

Jim O

I've had my BDS 4 rack for 2 winters in central Ontario and smoke winter and summer with no problem,so I don't think it's the temps.

Like Walleye said,Bradley will make it right !

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

Habanero Smoker

If I recall correctly, most broken doors that were reported, the damage occured during shipment.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

smoke em if you got em

Bradley really does stand behind their product. Last week I noticed some cracks in the plastic piece on the bottom of the door. I called Bradley to order the replacement part but they said they would replace the whole door at no charge. A few days later I was installing my new door. Awesome service!!!

Also they had just received some of the "new" heat elements so I went ahead and got one as a backup, or I might do the dual element mod.
OBS w/ dual element and fan mods
Dual-Probe auber pid
Charbroil BEESR
Charbroil SRG
Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator
Outdoor Gourmet pellet grill
Old Smokey #22 charcoal grill
Camp Chef DLX pellet grill

jdomep

i got my new door today and i am happy with the service. the new doors seal doesnt attach to my smoker though. that is a concern now.

Mr Walleye

jdomep

I remember someone indicating that once they ran the smoker for a while over 200 degrees the door gasket kinda heats up and adapts to it's new home. Give that a shot & see how it works. You don't need to waste any pucks, just run the main heat element.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

GusRobin

yes, the seal gets compressed during shipping/storage. Running it a while at 200 or so should "pop" it back into shape.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

smoke em if you got em

Quote from: jdomep on April 28, 2011, 04:40:07 PM
i got my new door today and i am happy with the service. the new doors seal doesnt attach to my smoker though. that is a concern now.

Mine was the same way but after running it a while it softened up and made a good seal.

OBS w/ dual element and fan mods
Dual-Probe auber pid
Charbroil BEESR
Charbroil SRG
Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator
Outdoor Gourmet pellet grill
Old Smokey #22 charcoal grill
Camp Chef DLX pellet grill

jdomep

200? i have trouble getting this thing up to 140. i read something about elements. i wonder if i got a bad one.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: jdomep on April 29, 2011, 01:09:42 PM
200? i have trouble getting this thing up to 140. i read something about elements. i wonder if i got a bad one.

Here are some troubleshooting tips that will help you narrow down the problem and hopefully find a solutions:
Bradley FAQ's

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

jdomep

if i call i my serial number will they be able to tell me if i have one of the bad heating elements?

devo

Quote from: jdomep on April 30, 2011, 04:54:04 AM
if i call i my serial number will they be able to tell me if i have one of the bad heating elements?

I'm thinking they would know but and easier way to tell is take a multimeter and check to see if you have any resistance across the element. No resistance and its toast.

I did a cold smoke yesterday. It was very warm out and I was surprised at the temp the puck burner by itself produced which was around 135* by the time I was done so maybe your element is gone.