• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

OBS Observations

Started by Meat tooth, May 01, 2011, 06:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meat tooth

Well after 4 successful smokes, I have to say, this unit is pretty impressive. I have smoked in the past quite a bit using my grill and a smoker box, with good success, but that method needs a lot of attention. You must check your wood frequently to ensure there is enough, and there is no fire. This results in extended cooking times due to heat loss. The upside to using a gas grill this way is you can crank up the heat to compensate, then turn it down again when the temp comes back. With the OBS, I figure out my smoke and cooking times, and only open the door when the water needs changing, after the initial smoke is over, then foil the meat, and close for the duration. Just bought a wireless meat thermometer, now I don't need to open the door to check "the button". Nice. Now the OBS I picked up on sale from CTC was missing parts, and was damaged although the box was factory sealed. The power cords were missing, and the front panel is cracked. I called Bradley after the Easter weekend and they said "no problem, the replacement parts will arrive in about a week, including two rear feet to prevent the new panel from cracking again; wow! That's customer service! I think I will order another couple of elements, one to put in as a second for faster heat recovery, and one for a spare, that is the only design flaw I can see so far, it probably works great in the dog days of summer, but not so good if the temp is below 20C. Ok I could go on about how much I like using the OBS, (looking for any opportunity to try something new) but there's no need, as any one who's used one knows what I'm talking about...

P.S. No I was not paid to post this! I just wanted to "tell my story"  ;D
Chew carefully and don't let your meat loaf.

GusRobin

Glad you enjoy it. Yes Bradley CS is top notch. If you install the 2nd element you should definetly use a temp controller of some type. Many buy the Auber PID (get the hanging probe not the wall mounted.) You can also buy the parts and install a DIY PID for about half price ( Appears easy to do).
I would also install the on off switch when installing the 2nd element.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Habanero Smoker

With the single element I have used the smoker at 20°F (7°C), with good results, as long wind is not a factor and you don't open the door often. It just takes longer to get to the temperature you want to smoke/cook at.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

dman4505

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on May 02, 2011, 02:40:50 AM
With the single element I have used the smoker at 20°F (7°C), with good results, as long wind is not a factor and you don't open the door often. It just takes longer to get to the temperature you want to smoke/cook at.

x2
keep mine in the garage so it's out of the cold winter winds here in Iowa and it's worked great even at temps around 10F

Don
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."

The Man's Prayer: I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Jim O

Welcome Meatooth. I also smoke in the garage to keep my unit out of the wind.

I smoke down to -10C with no problem.

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

ghost9mm

Meat tooth that is one great testimonial for the Bradley folks and most here agree with or have said the same thing...The Bradley with a PID is really a pleasure...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Meat tooth

Yesterday I received the package with the cords, and replacement front panel from Bradley. Just like they promised. Exactly one week to the day! Very good customer service. I will email them and thank them.
Chew carefully and don't let your meat loaf.

beefmann

welcome to the forum and you have a good smoker .. .enjoy