• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoking Butt "Ahead Of time"

Started by Roget, May 02, 2011, 08:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roget

I need to smoke a butt for a buddy in Indy. (about 50 miles away)
Problem is I can only take it up to him on the weekend.
Can I smoke it 3-4 days before & then stick it in the fridge until the weekend? What would be the max fridge time?
If so, should I pull it while it is fresh or leave it for him to pull?
I would prefer to leave it. ( I'm sure he would appreciate the butt more in it's original shape)
If I leave it for him to pull should he reheat it before pulling and if so what would be the best way for him to reheat it?
Lots of questions, I know, but I know many of you are up to the quiz!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rodger

YCDBSOYA

DTAggie

You can probably keep in the fridge for 5 days safe.  I would try and wait as long as possible before smoking so you have less time in the fridge.

I always pull mine then reheat.  Reheat in a crock pot with a little apple juice.  It is awesome.  I have never left one whole to reheat later.  Will be interested to hear what others say.

ArnieM

I would pull it first.  Take a pic of it when it comes out of the smoker so your friend can see what it used to look like.  :D

Many, including myself, think it's actually better after being pulled, put in the fridge and then reheated.  Chop up the bark and mix it in with the pulled pork.  The smoke flavor tends to even out.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

squirtthecat

Ditto!

I like to reheat with some apple juice or perhaps a few heavy glugs of apple cider vinegar.

OU812

Yep, the flavor is better after its pulled and rested awhile.

I would smoke/cook that butt, FTC for 3 or 4 hr, pull it, chop up the bark, mix well, place in an air tight container and throw in the fridge till the weekend.

Then reheat in a crock pot with some liquid of your choice, apple juice works, look for the unsweetened kind.

I like to collect the drippings when cooking and wile the FTC is going on place the drippings in the fridge to allow the fat to come to the top and become solid. Discard the fat and add the tasty juices to the butt when reheating.

ghost9mm

I have to agree with all the rest, IMHO I think it pulls alot easier when it's warm and leaving it rest in the fridge is good and the apple juice is great, and save every piece of bark thats the flavor... good luck..
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

DTJ

I have put it whole in the fridge, reheated and pulled was easier than doing cold.  But still easier yet coming out of the smoker.  Warms up great!!!

Daryl