• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

New to smoke please be nice

Started by sanddancer, May 09, 2011, 06:38:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanddancer

By trail and error I have had some success. Some is the key word. I have a question which I can,t seem to research. How long should you s continue to smoke for during the cooking process. I have read people saying that after a certain temperature the smoke does not penetrate the meat  yet others say smoke for the duration of the cook ???.

NePaSmoKer

Its a learning curve. You will get it.

Meat will only take so much smoke. If you smoke the entire time the meat is in the smoker ya might as well just eat a burnt log.

I do Bradley smoke with anywhere from 3-9 pucks and then just heat.

sanddancer

So you think the four hour rule sounds good enough to start with

KyNola

Quote from: sanddancer on May 09, 2011, 07:15:52 AM
So you think the four hour rule sounds good enough to start with
In a word "Yes".  4 hours of a large piece of meat like a butt.  Poultry and fish won't require that much.  The Bradley smoke is a much purer, cleaner, concentrated smoke than other smokers will produce.

All part of the learning curve.  You'll get it.

GusRobin

Welcome - feel free to ask any questions. As far as being nice, I dare say that you will meet some of the nicest, most helpful and patient people on this forum. Of course with that comes a bit of fair natured teasing and ribbing (no pun intended)
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Bavind

The only thing I smoke for longer then 4 hrs would be salt.

ghost9mm

Welcome my friend, to one of the best and most knowledgeable forums that I know about, do not be intimidated from asking what you may consider a silly or stupid question...there are some really knowledgeable people here that will be more then willing to help you out with just about any question you can come up with.. good luck and do enjoy your smoker...

Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

jimmyb

I came to this forum as a newbie/rookie myself with no knowledge of smoking at all. The people on this forum have provided me with the most helpful information to allow me to be smoking like a pro (kind of). There is no question that shouldn't be asked. I would guess that it's been asked before and someone will have an answer. Feel free to ask away.

As for the duration of smoke, I agree that 4 hours is the most I do for large pieces of meat. What I do is before I venture into smoking a new meat that I haven't done before, I search this forum and it usually answers most questions. The rest of them, I just ask and get the answer.

La Quinta

Big cuts of meat...4 hours for me tops...fowl...I only do for about 2...seafood 2 hours tops (depends on the cut of fish/shellfish and what kind) but as stated above ask any question...I've done some of the most idiotic crap and asked on this site how to "fix" or re-do...everybody will help...

This is a good place to be!!!  ;D

sanddancer

To everyone thank you. I intend to smoke a brisket based on the information above and keeping the temperature at 220. At what internal meat temperature is cooked and how long should I hold that temperature when reached.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: sanddancer on May 10, 2011, 07:15:50 AM
To everyone thank you. I intend to smoke a brisket based on the information above and keeping the temperature at 220. At what internal meat temperature is cooked and how long should I hold that temperature when reached.

For sliced Brisket 185-195º for pulled 205-210º
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

sanddancer

Once reaching temperature should I hold or take out straight away?

Tenpoint5

Once it has reached the temp pull it out wrap in Foil then in a Towel then let it set in a Cooler (Microwave) for up to 3-4 hours. I usually only go for an hour. This process is called FTC which you will see mentioned around the forum.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

And don't turn on the microwave!

sanddancer

All have been helpful. Thanks guys. In a couple of days  learn t more than trawling the net for weeks. Response has been quick decisive and the tips fantastic.I guess its now down to me this weekend and flick the switch and give it a go. No more excuses. I would love too do my favorite food baby back ribs. The last time I tried following cooking times and temperatures they came out carbonized. Cremated.      ;D