• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Brisket This Weekend

Started by Rainmaker, May 11, 2011, 09:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rainmaker

I plan on doing a brisket this weekend using Pachanga's tried and true method.  I've used it a few times before and really liked the results.  Previously, I've made a heat deflector shield by covering the back half of the deflector shield with tin foil, being careful not to block the wholes, so I don't have to rotate the brisket.  I have also heard of covering the back half of the bottom rack with tin foil.  I was wondering if there is an advantage of using one of these over the other.  Look forward to any advice members can give.

GusRobin

Racks aside for the moment, I personally would not cover any thing with foil. Too easy to screw up the flow of grease and lead to a higher risk for grease fires. As far as the racks, I am not sure what the overall effect to the heat flow would be. Could be positive or negative.
To me, there isn't much work to the Bradley. Most of my briskets I do as overnight cooks. I check during the smoke time to make sure the pucks aren't stacked up in the water, so I rotate then. I change the water when the smoke is done, so I rotate then. I change the water before I go to bed and make sure the v tray is clear, so I rotate then. I change the water when I wake up so I rotate then.  So as you can see, rotating for me is not an issue. I change water a lot because when doing a load of butts and/or briskets, there are a lot of drippings. I usually use two small bread pans on the last rack to catch some of the drippings (makes great juice for reheating, etc.). But a lot still drips in the water bowl and you end up with more grease than water. After seeing some posts on grease fires I get a little paranoid, but the steps I outlined above take little time and I sleep better.
Besides the Bradley is so easy I have to look like I am doing something other than sitting and drinking a beer or the wife will give me some "honey-dos". This way she thinks it is a lot of work.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

OU812

ghost9mm

Quote from: OU812 on May 12, 2011, 03:13:18 PM
What Gus said.  ;D

X2 and I am really paranoid about fire...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

KyNola