• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Big Brisket

Started by Rainmaker, May 12, 2011, 09:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rainmaker

I have a 15lb brisket I'm doing on Saturday night / Sunday for a party my son is organizing.  The brisket is 21 inches long.  My racks are only 15 inches, so I don't think that even using the "U" bend I'll be able to keep it whole so will have to cut it.  Anything I should be aware of when I do that?  Should I cut it in half or just enough off one end to make it fit?
Also, I think I will start it at 7:00 pm on Saturday (eating Sunday around 7:00 pm).  I plan to cook it around 210 degrees using a dual probe Auber.  I'll be using Pachanga's method so won't be boating, but will FTC.  My problem is that I'm out Saturday evening to around 11:00 and am worried that starting a brisket that size when I get home may not give me enough time.  ANy thoughts?

GusRobin

You probably could bend it. At that size I a assuming it is a full packer and not just a flat. If so, I would separate the point and the flat and it should then fit in the racks.
I am afraid that starting at 11:00 pm will not give you enough time. I would plan on 1-1.5 hrs per lb. I have done 14 lb briskets that have taken 20 hours at 220*. You could raise the temp a bit. I would think about starting it Frida, finishing on Sat and reheat in a crick pot on Sunday.
Sorry that is the best I can come up with, the experts may come and offer something different.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Habanero Smoker

If you don't know how to separate the two muscles; there is a thick fat vein that separates the two so it is easy to determine where to cut. You can locate the vein easily by turning it over, looking at the bottom and side of the brisket.

There is another way to cut the brisket. If you take another look at Pachanga's Brisket Too Large???, he mentions if you cannot bend it and the flat is long and thinner then normal, you can cut the tip of the flat off at a point where the brisket will fit on the tray, and then place the cut off piece under the brisket (same tray)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

OU812

I always seperate the point from the flat.

Hope this helps.

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.