Looking to buy my first Bradley smoker, and could use your advice.

Started by Akrap, May 15, 2011, 03:37:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akrap

I have been reading up on the Bradley smokers a lot lately. I have been a freezer smoker for years in Alaska, but now I live in Moses lake Wash. and want to get into smoking again. The winters here are chilly but not that bad, and the summers as you probably know get hot and sunny. I like the electric due to the cost of electricity here, and being able to control the smoker with out going out every hour and checking on it.
So, Now the hard part. Picking out which one to buy.

I am reading a lot of you are using the PIDs to control temperatures. I was going for the DBS for control, but read that it still swings on the temperatures. After reading a lot of  your comments, I think the majority of you would go with a OBS, and PID if you did it again? Is that a correct take on it? With the warmer temperatures (90+) I will be using it in the summer months here, would it be a wise choice to look at the cold smoke attachment to help keep the smoke box from getting to hot and be able to do some really nice cold smoked meats and fish.

I do plan on doing my own sausage, and whole ducks, and racks of ribs. I also love seafood, and fish, oysters and clams will be a must. I do a hot jerky now, but use a drier for it, but look forward to using a smoker instead. Any input will be welcome and appreciated.
All ways looking for good eats!

DarqMan

Welcome to the forum Akrap.

I'm one of the guys who went with the OBS and an Auber PID and have absolutely no regrets.  If you plan on doing things that require precise temperature control, than a PID is definitely the way to go.  If don't care about  precise temperature control a DBS is certainly more than sufficient.  Whatever you decide, you'll have an awesome rig that will provide years of enjoyment.
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

ghost9mm

Welcome to the forum Akrap... If I had it to do over, I would get the OBS with the PID, but since I have the DBS there are some things that I really like about it..I don't regret getting it because I control my DBS with a PID when I need critical times and temps..good to have you aboard...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Akrap

Thank you. I am so looking forward to getting back into smoking. This does seem to be an awesome smoker to use too.

GusRobin

welcome - i think darqman and g9 gave ou good advice on the smoker. as far as the cold smoker, you may want to look at alternatives --people have built some good ones using anything from cardboard, wood and even a mailbox that work ver well and are much cheaper.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

NePaSmoKer

I have been using Bradleys for years. Any one you choose works great and with the added PID the Bradley works even better.

If your going to do sausage the DBS 6 Rack/PID just cant be beat.

Akrap

Thank you. With everything we are reading, that is right where we are going. Might have to get the smoker first and then the PID. But I am looking forward to it.

Bavind

Welcome to the forum. I have been using the OBS and a Auber pid for several years. I havent found anything better. 

Tenpoint5

I will second what Nepas has already said. IF YOUR PLANNING ON DOING SAUSAGE AT ALL go with the 6rack DBS to give you more room to hang sausage. It can be done in the 4rk but the 6 gives you more room. You can still use a pid on the digitals.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Hopefull Romantic

Hi there Akrap and welcome to the forum.

I agree with 10.5 and Nepas on the advice and actually based on their advice  (plus other members) I went with the 6 DBS plus the PID and I am happy with it.

An old saying I heard at Universal Studios in LA long time ago; " It is better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it".

Hady
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

grnhs

I started out with the DBS and found out pretty quickly that I needed a pid for the kind of control I need. If I did it all over I would have just got the obs with the pid.
Welcome to the Bradley family, this is a fun place here, and my must do list keeps growing instead of getting shorter :)

Bavind

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on May 16, 2011, 07:08:12 AM
I will second what Nepas has already said. IF YOUR PLANNING ON DOING SAUSAGE AT ALL go with the 6rack DBS to give you more room to hang sausage. It can be done in the 4rk but the 6 gives you more room. You can still use a pid on the digitals.

The only thing I would change would be going with a 6 rack. 4 rack has less space to use when making sausage.