• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Golden Section Reader for Recipe Site

Started by Oldman, October 02, 2005, 04:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

It seems that GSReader is now no longer free with v3.0. When I purchased GSNotes I asked about the next verison and if 2.8 would be readable by v3.0.  They never got back to me. I wrote twice. I've got an idea here that their plan was to get the GSNotes out and have many data-base created as possible (which are now in the thousands.) GSNote is a purchased only program. I purchased v2.8. They have sent to me a key for v.3.0. However, they did not tell me that our v2.8 reader will not read v3.0. I'm not going to upgrade to v3.0 so when I do the next data-base our v2.8 Reader will be able to read it.

Furthermore, it looks like v3.0 Reader as an demo will not read our data-base even during its trial period. So I have uploaded the original FREEWARE v2.8 that I'm using and it is now linked in the thread on the recipe site.

If you have just downloaded v3.0 then delete it completely and then download and install v2.8 as listed on the recipe site.

Sorry for any problems this might cause anyone. It would have been nice if they had just replied to my E-mails.

Olds

EDIT This is their End User Agreement for v2.8 GSReader: <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><font size="2">GoldenSection Reader: the License
  ====================================

The GoldenSection Reader is Freeware.
  This means:

- TGS Labs exclusively owns all copyrights to
    GoldenSection Reader.

- You may install and use an unlimited number of
    copies of this software on your computers.

- The author will not make available Technical Support for
    this Software. The author may, from time to time, revise
    or update the Software. In so doing, the author incurs no
    obligation to furnish such revision or updates to you.

- GoldenSection Reader IS DISTRIBUTED "AS IS". NO WARRANTY
    OF ANY KIND IS EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED. YOU USE AT YOUR OWN
    RISK. THE AUTHOR WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR DATA LOSS, DAMAGES,
    LOSS OF PROFITS OR ANY OTHER KIND OF LOSS WHILE USING OR
    MISUSING THIS SOFTWARE.

- You may not emulate, clone, rent, lease, sell, modify,
    decompile, disassemble, otherwise reverse engineer the
    program, or any subset of the program. Any such
    unauthorized use shall result in immediate and automatic
    termination of this license and may result in criminal
    and/or civil prosecution.

TGS Labs reserves all rights not expressly granted here.

- Installing and using GoldenSection Reader signifies
    acceptance of these terms and conditions of the license.

- If you do not agree with the terms of this license you must
    remove GoldenSection Reader files from your storage
    devices and cease to use the product.

Email: [email protected]
  Web: http://www.tgslabs.com

Copyright (c) 1999-2004 TGS Labs.
</font id="size2"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

ListerD

Err... what's the connector (reader) for?

First I've heard of this...

Oldman

ListerD

I used GSNotes to create a copy of the recipe site. It includes all pictures links, etc.. The reader (GSReader) is used to read that data base. Thus you can down from the recipe site both the reader and the D-base so you can have a copy on your system.

I did this as insurance. Many members here spent much time in creating not only recipes but a collection of very valuable information to allow it to go poof one day.

See this thread: <b>Bradley Recipes Download</b>

I'm glad you asked about this as I needed to work something out in my mind concern the updated D-Base I hope to put out in Jan/ Feb of next year.

What I will have to do is offer a full version (approximately 5-7 megs)
and a patched version less then 1 meg. This KB amount will vary depending upon the number of pictures included.

The problem in my mind was how to create a full v2.0 using a patch of less than 1-2 megs. The answer is so simple it is now as clear as the nose on my face. DOH!

The members who update (patch) will end up with two full D-Base version on their hard drive. v1.0 and v2.0, and yet the update  (v2.0) will be very small in KB when compared to the full install.  All they will have to do if they want is to delete v1.0 as v2.0 will have the same information.

The reason the update will be smaller is the majority of the full install in KB are the pictures (3.7 megs--out of the current 4.7 megs,--compressed) and these are is a separate folder from the D-base. So when v1.0 is deleted the pictures are not, and v2.0 will point to that folder for the images.

Also I will set it up so any new images will also auto install into the images folder...

Another option I will offer is a non patched version. This will be very small in KB but it will then reguire that both v1.0 and v2."n" be left on the system. As v2.n will not contain the information in v1.0.  This will make it easier on dial-up downloads.

Thanks I needed to work this out in my mind.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!