First GO at Smoked Kielbasa: MANY Photos...

Started by Kevin A, May 28, 2011, 05:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin A

The roaster was a $25 garage sale find locally. The seller's aunt had it in her garage for 50+ years & never used it. It works great—and yes, it has the old cloth-wrapped non-grounded plug that gets hot to the touch... :o

pikeman_95

Kevin

Those are great looking sausages. I was expecting to see larger chunks of meat showing considering the cubed meat that was part of the mix, it might just be the pics. That sausage looks very professional. Was your family happy with the results??

KC

Kevin A

Quote from: pikeman_95 on May 29, 2011, 09:13:57 PM
Kevin

Those are great looking sausages. I was expecting to see larger chunks of meat showing considering the cubed meat that was part of the mix, it might just be the pics. That sausage looks very professional. Was your family happy with the results??

KC
Thanks, Kirby.
I must have chosen an oddball kielbasa for the initial slice shot as the majority eaten so far have visible 'ham hunks' nestled within.
Boys & the wife are very happy with the results. They had some for breakfast AND for lunch... ;)

Close-up in the pan showing some of the soft 'cubes':

Tenpoint5

Kevin if your looking for a ham like texture in a deli style sausage. Try the Biershinken here http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=11689.0 Just DO NOT submerge your probe in the ice water like the bonehead that made the post!!!! It fried and he had to get another probe.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Kevin A

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on May 30, 2011, 07:56:22 PM
Kevin if your looking for a ham like texture in a deli style sausage. Try the Biershinken here http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=11689.0 Just DO NOT submerge your probe in the ice water like the bonehead that made the post!!!! It fried and he had to get another probe.
These were 1/2" cubes as I was afraid of making them too big for the 32mm links. In hindsight,  I could have made them more prominent (larger), but overall I was pleased with how they came out.

My bonehead move: testing the water temp in the poacher/roaster with........my hand! Thought it was around 150°—turns out it was closer to 200°. I used a temperature gauge the next time.... ::)

OU812

Nice wright up Kevin.

I do a ham loaf useing chunks like that, good stuff.

Love that roaster.

hal4uk

Great job on the sausage and the pics, Kevin!!!

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Kevin A

My wonderful wife tonight made "kapustą i kiełbasą"— kielbasa cooked with sauerkraut, apples & onion with a bit of caraway.
Didnt get a chance to snap some photos before most of it was demolished— not that it LOOKS that great, but it tastes wonderful!

....AND she cooked it in the Retro-roaster... :D

That kielbasa will be gone in no time!

pikeman_95

Kevin
I think sauerkraut was made for us sausage lovers. I had my wife's uncle over for German frankfurters and kraut the other night then we had shishkabob with pork chunks and sliced summer sausage this evening. He loved it. Like you said that kielbasa ain't going to last long. I bet your nest batch is an even larger batch. This is why I hardly ever do less then 30 pounds. I like to put some away so I can enjoy it when ever we want. With your new fridge and freezer you are in business.

GusRobin

Kevin,
Is there any difference between the cubed meat and the ground meat as far as fat content etc?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Kevin A

Quote from: GusRobin on June 02, 2011, 09:47:06 AM
Kevin,
Is there any difference between the cubed meat and the ground meat as far as fat content etc?

Gus— the "cubes" (1/3 of the total) are 98.7% lean (taken from the butt).  ;)
The grind is the rest of the butt (anywhere from 25-30% fat content)—so, mixed together, I venture to guess with my feeble math skills* the overall mix is about 30% 'leaner' than a standard sausage mix.

*"I'm a media director, not a mathematician"  ;D

crusty044

Hi Kevin,
Your kielbasa looks "the Ducks Guts"  Australian slang for the best of the best. You made me hungry jusy looking and reading about it and worst of all you gave a hell of an inferiority complex.
Best Wishes from an Ozzie novice.
Jan.
Brisbane.

SiFumar

Very Nice!  I so want to try this.  But for now I will just have to wipe the drool off my face.  The little chunks makes it look very different.  Good job!

Tenpoint5

Quote from: crusty044 on June 06, 2011, 05:39:56 PM
Hi Kevin,
Your kielbasa looks "the Ducks Guts"  Australian slang for the best of the best. You made me hungry jusy looking and reading about it and worst of all you gave a hell of an inferiority complex.
Jan.
Brisbane.

Jan no need for a inferiority complex. We have all been there at one time or another. Now you have a worldwide support system at your disposal, This Forum and its members.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on June 07, 2011, 06:16:22 AM
Quote from: crusty044 on June 06, 2011, 05:39:56 PM
Hi Kevin,
Jan.
Brisbane.

Jan no need for a inferiority complex. We have all been there at one time or another. Now you have a worldwide support system at your disposal, This Forum and its members.

What he said.  ;D