Heading To St Louis And Have Questions For You St Louis Area Smokers

Started by seemore, June 05, 2011, 07:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seemore

Hi!
The wife and I will be taking a vacation to St. Louis.  We will be there the week of June 20.
What we would like to know is what good restaurants you recommend, any good markets, wineries, etc.
FYI our anniversary is June 20, so we are looking for a high-end restaurant at which to celebrate.
Thanks!
seemore

hal4uk

Cafe Napoli.  Couple of blocks from the Ritz in Clayton.
Squirt can recommend a LOT more places in STL...  ;D

http://www.cafenapoli.com/home.html

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

squirtthecat

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

If you're into old school Italian, Giovanni's located "on the Hill" if it is still there.

squirtthecat

Quote from: KyNola on June 06, 2011, 07:25:09 AM
If you're into old school Italian, Giovanni's located "on the Hill" if it is still there.

Yep!  Still there...

Zia's is good, Charlie Gittos is good, Rigazzi's is very casual, but still good.  Favazza's is good...

Come to think of it, I haven't had a bad meal yet on The Hill.
Note:  They are all closed on Sundays.

Cafe Napoli (Clayton) - as Hal mentions above - is our flat out favorite.  Very elegant, and excellent food.
And it's fun to 'people watch' there...   ;)

Downtown..     Mike Shannon's is great.   $$$, but worth it.   There is a Charlie Gitto's down there as well.

Lots of neat Irish Pubs in the Soulard neighborhood.   Kind of a thirty-something scene, but it is a neat area.   The Farmers Market alone is worth a visit.

The AB brewery is definitely a must see.   Tours are free (at least they used to be) and you get to see some of the Clydesdales up close and personal.

Let me think some more.

seemore

Awesome suggestions, everyone!  Keep 'em coming!
FLB, yes, we will be camping from 06/17-06/24.  We will be staying at Pin Oaks campground in Villa Ridge, which is about 45 miles southwest of St Louis.
We have some 'must sees' in St Louis:  Grant's Farm, AB brewery (it has been almost 30 years since we last visited it), the zoo....
We also have a few things outside of the city we want to take in:  the Merimac caverns, etc.
seemore

TedEbear

Don't forget a ride up to the top of the Arch if you haven't done it yet.  Also, the Cardinals will be in town during your stay if you like baseball.  Playing the Royals June 17, 18, 19 and Phillies June 21, 22, 23.

squirtthecat

MrsSTC and MIL will be at the game on the 23rd..   :D

Seemore, there are some Wineries down S of STL.  Let me dig up the location and get you some links.   

seemore

squirtthecat

Wineries:

http://stlouis.about.com/od/topattractions/tp/missouri_wineries.htm

Most of the biggies are in Hermann about 90 minutes East of St Louis. We've been over there - it is worth the drive.  There seem to be a few clustered around Ste. Genevieve - which is 1 hour S of St Louis on I-55.

TedEbear

Quote from: squirtthecat on June 07, 2011, 05:24:00 PMMost of the biggies are in Hermann about 90 minutes East of St Louis. We've been over there - it is worth the drive.  

Don't you mean 90 minutes west of St. Louis?   ;)

squirtthecat

Quote from: TedEbear on June 07, 2011, 06:42:36 PM
Quote from: squirtthecat on June 07, 2011, 05:24:00 PMMost of the biggies are in Hermann about 90 minutes East of St Louis. We've been over there - it is worth the drive.  

Don't you mean 90 minutes west of St. Louis?   ;)

Yes, sorry.  ::)

90 minutes East would put you...........      Nowhere.

hal4uk

ZOO?

Like all zoos... The population is always changing, BUT...
They always have a lot of MONKIES.

The Zoo in STL is a really nice zoo!!!!
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

seemore

Squirt, Herman is only 38 miles from where we are camping.  That will definitely be one of our day trips.
Hal, as you know, you don't need to go to a zoo to see plenty of monkeys!   ;D  Sorry I just had to say it!
TedE, I wish we were big baseball fans, but we are not.  If it was Ultimate Fighting, that is another story.....
UPDATE ON OUR CAMPER:
The AC went out last week, and it has been at the dealer being fixed.  It was supposed to be ready today.
We got a call today that the new AC (still under warranty) is being shipped out and will be here in a couple days.
We need our unit by this weekend, so we can prep it.
Mrs.
Looks like we will be hitting Herman on our very first day!!!