• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Too Smoky Bacon

Started by eagles9259, June 07, 2011, 01:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eagles9259

I've used this forum for lots of help in the year or so since I got my OBS, and I really appreciate the help. One thing that I've found is that when I do ABTs or a bacon-wrapped fatty, I don't like the taste of the bacon. I feel that the bacon already being smoked when I buy it and then smoked again when I make those recipes gives it a flavor I don't really care for. Anyway, my question is, would it be okay to use uncured or unsmoked pork belly instead of the bacon? Have any of you ever done it?
Thanks,
Matt

Tenpoint5

Myself when I am using store bought Bacon I only apply about an hour of additional smoke to it. It seems to help some on the Bacon that has a strong smoke smell coming out of the package. But then again I dont use a lot of store bought bacon anymore either.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

You could use the bacon you have been getting and just cook your ABTs or fattie
with out adding any smoke.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Matt;
Welcome to the forum.

I have smoked and grilled fresh pork belly on a few occasions, and it taste great, but it has a totally different flavor and texture. To answer your question yes you can, but I haven't tried it.

Also there are many unsmoked bacons on the markets. They usually state that they are Maple Cured or Sugar Cured, but read the labels to make sure they did not add liquid smoke.

You can also use deli sliced ham, prosciutto etc to wrap the ABT's, but you may have to parboil the peppers first to cut down on the cooking time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)