Help me before I change my mind again!

Started by Hackk, June 08, 2011, 11:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hackk

I'm sure I have a lot more questions to ask about the equipment, but real quick, Im ordering wood right now. I almost want to buy the variety pack to test out smoke flavors, but I know I'll probably have to buy additional flavors shortly after. So far in my limited experience, I've used Maple (which I loved), cherry (which I also enjoyed), and mesquite (which I didnt really like, very harsh smoke). Again, I know I was only using a smoke box in my BBQ, but I got a general idea.

For a beginner learning the bradley smoker, what do you guys recommend? The variety pack, or individual types? I just dont know how fast I will go through everything...

EDinNB

First link is accurate, second link they used the 120 pack box for the sale of the 12 pack, however both prices loom about right.

EDinNB

seemore

Habanero Smoker

You may want to send Auber an email. Though they don't advertise it, he may sell you a dual PID.

If you are going to build your own, you may want to give some thought into making it a stand alone rather then build it into the generator. A stand alone PID will give you more options to control other heating devices such as crock pots, hot plates etc. Also if you build it into the generator and the generator goes bad you will have to redo the work to install it in a new generator.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Hackk

So even though saving money would be a great thing, I decided to go down the "rich", and lazy road, and I just bought the dual plug n play. I know I could wire the diy just fine, but I'm rebuilding a motorcycle every spare minute that I have, so I just said f it, and dropped the cash.

I also picked up some 48 packs of maple, alder, apple, cherry, pecan, and jack daniels (which I believe is oak?)... I know it will take me a while to go through all of them, but at least ill have a nice reserve at hand to play around with. Mesquite, hickory, and oak kind of scare me. I know they're a stronger smoke, and usually used with beef, but I feel until I get the hang of it, the other woods I got will do just fine if I want to play with a bone-in ribeye or something.

I think my biggest problem to come, will be giving away the meat I smoke. Its just my girlfriend and I, but I know its impractical to smoke unless I fill that chamber full.

Guys, I want to thank you for all of your help. Everything I asked has been asnwered. Compared to other forums, you all welcomed me with open arms, and never made me feel like an idiot. Again, thank you. From this point on, I believe I can get the rest of my answers from trial and error... and reading

beefmann

TedEbear

Quote from: Hackk on June 09, 2011, 12:55:17 PMAnd finally, TedEbear, I know Im jumping away from my original question, but do you have any reading material on adding a second heating core? That's an area of learning that I havent touched yet. And that's also a very clean setup. I wondered if that was possible, but I havent had an opened smoke generator in front of me, so I had no idea if it would work...

There are several how-to articles on adding a second element.  Some have switches for going back and forth between single or dual element mode, although I don't know why anyone would want to do this once they have both elements up and running.  I think I mainly followed the link below. 

The only thing I did differently was instead of running wires from both elements all the way out the back of the cooking chamber I just made a short 3-4" high temp wire loop from the second element to the first and then only one wire going out the back on each end from the first element.

Everyone cautions that when you add a second element to also have a PID controller because the stock temp controller might not be able to handle the higher current.

Additional Heating Element Modification

On the PID controller it looks like you already made up your mind on what to get.  That plug n play is the easier to install and has more options.  I just went with the DIY because it cost way less and controlling the chamber temp is the only reason I wanted one.  Installing it in the smoke generator box was an idea I saw someone else do on here and it looked nice and clean.  If I ever had to replace the SG I would probably keep my modded box and just unscrew the 'guts' of the smoke generator motor, etc., and repace it.  Probably would take all of 10 minutes.

I also went with the Auber K-type thermocouple with the alligator clip on my PID . The reason being is that I can clip it upside-down to one of the racks instead of letting it just dangle through the vent.  By creating a drip loop I avoid any moisture getting on the wire and running down into the sensor.

Hopefull Romantic

Hackk you should also consider purchasing Bubba Pucks.

as you may know that each wood bisquette burns in 20 minutes. So for a one hour smoke you would need three and that last one needs to be pushed up to the plate. You could use other bisquettes to achieve that but it is a waste of money and goodBradley bisquettes. The traditional Bubba pucks you could purchase at Yard and pool and I see that some one gave you the link to them. Auber Instruments also sell similar "Rings" that I heard to be good as well. YOu will find them at

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14&products_id=111

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

muebe

Hackk....When I was looking to do the dual-element mod I saw what Beefman had done with the 900w finned element and fan & was very impressed. So I first had just did the 900w finned element mod only and it worked great. I tested it for over twenty five hours and no problems. I then bought a used Fridgidaire Oven Convection Fan from e-bay and installed it into the upper left hand corner of the Bradley cabinet. The convection fan is controlled by my PID(smoker output). I did re-install the shelf brackets so it is a 4-tray smoker again ;) I am very happy with this setup ;D

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

La Quinta

Dang you guys over complicate the crap outta cooking...the fun of smoking is checking the temp...and making sure it is where it should be...it's not like its a lot of work...but that's just me...I enjoy the simplicity of the experience...I don't use any of the "toys"...don't think they are necessary...I like the OBS just the way it is...

Again...just the way I am...it is what it is....ya gotta learn to smoke...you can't do it with gadgets...geez I sound very old school don't I...UGH... ???

Hackk

Thanks Muebe, and everyone else, this is all great material! After spending a little more time on the sites you all linked, I found an answer to any question I can think of..... except this next one, which I will ask in hopes that it gets answered quickly, because it seems to be an emergency!

I am running the unit for the first time right now, Im in the process of "curing" the chamber...

The pucks wont light! I have the PID setup to run the smoke on the steps I am on, plus I know its working because the lights are all on, and I burnt the ^$% out of my finger touching the inside of the unit to feel heat. It even feeds when I push the button.... but no smoke is being produced! HELP!

Habanero Smoker

The bisquettes will not light, they will smolder. When you stated you burnt your fingers, was in on the bisquette burner, or another part of the smoker?

This could be a matter of not allowing the bisquette burner to preheat prior to the first bisquette advancing to the burner. If that is not the case; since this is your first run I would unhook the PID and set up the Bradley per instructions of the manual, and try it again. If the bisquette burner works fine then the problem may be the setting on the PID or the way you hooked it up.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)