• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Computer assisttance - and yes I am a sap.

Started by Quarlow, June 12, 2011, 08:31:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quarlow

OK I fell victim to the "MAXMYSPEED" to help my computer speed. So I "SAP" paid the $39.95 to get the software download and as I am installing it it tells me to phone this #.
Alright "SAP" so I phone the # and the guy comes on and says he needs to take control of my computer and check some stuff out. No problem, all is cool so far, then he checks my registry and says it has to much stuff on it and they need several hours for their tech to clean it out before they can install the "MAXMYSPEED" software. So for $304. for a year they can clean it out and provide service and tech support. I say  "OK I can't really afford that right now What with my kids grad and this and that".
Then he says "Well do you have other computers in the house. To which I say " yes 2 others". So he says "well for $349.95 I can provide the same service for all 3 computers".
This is where the sap leaves me cause he has confirmed it to me that this is a legal scam with a flexible price that he can adjust to whatever he wants just to get a whack of my dough. So I tell him I cannot pay this at this time and he tells me that he will put the things he changed back as they were, which he does, but he also removes the "MAXMYSPEED" software which I can't seem to find now and he goes on with his business and I am out of pocket with a now sore rump "If ya now what I mean".
  So my question is "does anyone now how to clean my registry?
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

ADH

Quarlow

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

Tenpoint5

I would suggest sending a PM to Squirt after he recovers from the LPGA weekend.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Quarlow

OBS
BBQ

smoker pete

Quote from: Quarlow on June 12, 2011, 08:31:33 AM

... Alright "SAP" so I phone the # and the guy comes on and says he needs to take control of my computer and check some stuff out. No problem, all is cool so far, then he checks my registry and says it has to much stuff on it ...

... he tells me that he will put the things he changed back as they were, which he does, but he also removes the "MAXMYSPEED" software ...

... So my question is "does anyone now how to clean my registry? ...

If it was me Q I would be more worried about what he might have done/screwed up/etc. while he had control of the computer rather than how to clean up your registry :-\ ???  One little incorrect tweak here or there can do a lot a damage.  The Registry is not for the faint of heart or the untrained!!

Maybe I'm just me being paranoid or something but it wasn't that long ago when I knew enough to be extremely dangerous and like I said, the Registry is nothing to take lightly.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

Quarlow

Thanks pete. I will gather as much knowledge as I can before I touch anything or send it to the shop.

OBS
BBQ

smoker pete

Quote from: Quarlow on June 12, 2011, 09:05:33 AM
Thanks pete. I will gather as much knowledge as I can before I touch anything or send it to the shop.

Not saying he did anything Q ... just saying that the Registry is the brains of the Operating System and needs to be respected.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

muebe

This whole thing about needing to clean the registry is a ploy to sell useless software IMHO.

So Q ....I assume that your computer is running very slow correct? Most common causes are conflicting programs(more than one virus scanner) or too many programs that start up with the OS.

How many virus scanning programs, registry cleaners, ect do you have installed?

What I suggest is that you go to www.malwarebytes.com and download their free scanner. Then run the software and install all the updates but do not run the scan yet. Once updated re-boot the computer into "safemode" and run the full scan from there. If you have any viruses this is going to get them out. Then run another scan after you reboot normally. If it finds something again then you have a Trojan horse. Let me know and I can help you with it.

There are a few free virus scanning software available that work well and I trust. One is from www.avira.com It works well and does not slow you computer down. I suggest you remove any of the virus scanning software you have and registry cleaners ect and install this one...

Let me know if you have more questions ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Quarlow

Ok running the malware scan. We'll see what happens. I seem to have about 300 errors as told by the C Cleaner and the maxmyspeed check too.

OBS
BBQ

Quarlow

Ok so no malicious infections detected. So now what. Muebe you said to check for scanning programs and such. How do I do that?

OBS
BBQ

muebe

In the right hand bottom corner on the taskbar there are icons. Take a look at each icon and see what they are. You can see what programs are running. There will be the speaker, wi-fi signal bars ect. Check each one and see if any are virus scanning software ect.

You can also go into the control panel. And then go to the add/remove programs area. This will list every program installed on your computer...

Let me know what you find
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Quarlow

It doesn't look like I have anything other than what my service provider supplys called "Telus security service". It seems to be a pretty good product as such. Of course I now have the malware icon in the lower right corner but other than that there is only the speaker, net connection bar and the battery indicator.

OBS
BBQ

muebe

Wildcat

I purchased System Mechanic Professional for around $40 not long ago from Office Depot. I am not a computer guru but this program is so simple that even I can do it. It will fix registry issues, clutter, will defrag, will fix the too much start up stuff, etc., etc.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/