ABT's and a DEAD Auber dual-probe!

Started by ExpatCanadian, June 12, 2011, 10:09:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExpatCanadian

Hey everyone...  bit of a double barrelled post here, but they're somewhat related so what the heck. Decided to do a couple dozen ABTs for Game 5 of the Stanley Cup final....  over here in London due to the time difference and broadcast schedule we can only watch the games recorded...  so once the live game finishes the small group of us that do follow it are on strict "radio silence" until we can watch the recording, usually a day or 2 later.  It's harder than it sounds...  even over here.  No Facebook...  no Canadian/American news sites, blogs, forums....  but so far so good... we've managed to watch all 5 games without knowing the result in advance.  I was even avoiding this forum initially...  but there doesn't seem to be much, if any, discussion of hockey on here, so maybe I'm OK.  So....  PLEASE no spoilers for Game 6 or 7!!!

Anyway, my ABTs went down a real treat!!  Stuffed with pulled pork, Dizzy Pig Redeye Express rub and cream cheese...  wrapped with my own home smoked bacon.  Hit them with an hour of apple, then another hour or so of cook time at 225oF. AWESOME!!

Prepared, ready for smoke:

Done, into the fridge until game time.  Heated them in the oven under a broiler for about 5 minutes just before serving.  Crisped up the bacon nicely:

BUT, about half way through the cook I happened to glance over at the unit and noticed my Auber PID was off!  Must have just happened, as the temperature on the digital display on the smoke generator was still above 200oF.  Reached around back of the PID to flick the switch... thought maybe the fuse had gone....  and NO SWITCH!!  Lifted the unit up, and laying on the top of the smoker is the red plastic rocker switch cover, and 2 little metal contacts, part of the internal switch mechanism!  Weirdest thing ever!!  It's like the switch self-destructed!  Anyone had this happen to them??  Will be contacting Auber to see if they can supply me a replacement switch.

muebe

Wow that is strange! Maybe from heat or an electrical short?!? Or the tension springs just came loose?!
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

beefmann

very strange. hope yo can get it fixed quickly