• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First time jerky strips & nuggets

Started by SamuelG, June 17, 2011, 09:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamuelG

After seeing such great results I had to give it a try.  I'm using the Hillbilly Recipe by Master NepaS.

The marinade

Placed in Ziplock bags over night.  I do not have a dehydrator so it will made 100% in the DBS.

I'll take all the suggestions and advice you may have...

SamuelG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SamuelG

pikeman_95

You better get your jerky done this weekend because you are going to be too busy by the end of next week.
what is in the blender??

SamuelG

Oh Yeah... I'll have "KC" and mixer working in full force !!!  I have over 10# waiting in the freezer.

Sorry I should have noted that those were all the ingredients in the recipe.

SamuelG

SamuelG

SamuelG

Over night rest:

Nuggets:

Strips:

Just went into the smoker for an hour at 100 with no smoke.  The I'll do two hour of JB @ 140.  Then up to 160 till it's done.

SamuelG

SamuelG

OU812

Lookin gooood.

Cant wait for the money shot.  ;D

ghost9mm

Well now... I have made lot's of jerky, but never nugget jerky...just may have to give it a try...and I will be watchin this thread to see how yours comes out..
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

SamuelG

OU this is the only money shot I have:

It was that time of day!

I'm keeping at 150sh sine it's very stable at that temp.

SamuelG

SamuelG

SamuelG

Quote from: ghost9mm on June 18, 2011, 10:58:24 AM
Well now... I have made lot's of jerky, but never nugget jerky...just may have to give it a try...and I will be watchin this thread to see how yours comes out..

Muebe is the master of nuggets,  his post is what got me to do it!

SamuelG

SamuelG

SamuelG

Thanks Muebe.

Re-dipped in teriyaki for about 1 minute.  And back to the smoker.

SamuelG

SamuelG

muebe

Your welcome Sam...

I was telling Sam that I re-coat my nuggets in straight soy vay when they are almost done. This is what gives them their pretty sheen. Also the soy vay is a fairly thick marinade and that allows for a nice coating of marinade on the nuggets for the finish
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

SamuelG

Getting close to the $$$ shot, but this will be embarrassing! ???

SamuelG

SamuelG

SamuelG

Here it is:

Why do some shine?

Taste wise they are good, but need improvement.

I Cont to have problems with Temperture control and swings.  The temperatures on my maverick are  not even close to what's indicated on the DBS. They are plus or minus 30 DEG depending if the element is on or off, not to mention the different temps around the smoker.

I think I might need that fan and aubier PID added to my wish list.

With all that said, the DBS still produces great results!  What a great smoker and even better forum.

Thanks to all.

SamuelG

SamuelG

muebe

Sam the DBS goes on and off for short periods to regulate temp that is why you get temp swings. A PID will throttle the element continually to regulate temp within a few degrees. I think when dehydrating a stable temp is more important. Also without a fan the lower racks are going to dry much faster than the upper so constant rotation of racks is a must. I was able to get a Cabelas 10 tray dehydrator for $79 on sale and they are great for jerky. But I have found that my OBS with the fan, finned element and PID actually works just as good ;D

Another thing is quality of meat makes a big difference. Prime and Choice are great for jerky nuggets. I tried select and they were terrible. So stick with choice if you can.

Soy Vay is a great marinade for these nuggets. Mr.Yoshida's is a good choice also ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

OU812

I'd  do some damage on that,,,,,,,,,,,,, it dont have to look pretty to taste gooood.  ;D

SamuelG

Quote from: OU812 on June 19, 2011, 07:31:40 AM
I'd  do some damage on that,,,,,,,,,,,,, it dont have to look pretty to taste gooood.  ;D

I just hit them myself.... Yes Sir I'll be making more soon!

SamuelG

SamuelG