• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Extension Cords

Started by Meat tooth, June 18, 2011, 09:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meat tooth

Like a dumass I used the unit with an extension cord at first. The temp never got past 225F. I moved the smoker closer to the outlet so it could be plugged in directly. Started to do a Pork loin roast... it got hot fast! had to actually turn it down! 225F in less than 30 min! I wanna cook this all night; at that rate it'll be done by 3am!

I strongly suggest that you follow Bradley's advice and DO NOT use an extension cord! It impairs the performance, and could be a potential fire hazard because the cord could overheat. 
Chew carefully and don't let your meat loaf.

muebe

As long as you use a high quality and high wattage rated extension cord you will be fine. Low quality or undersized cords will cause you problems. I use a quality outdoor extension cord and have no problems with the 900w element in my OBS. The key is to know your cord is quality and can more than handle the load. If you don't know then don't use it :)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Habanero Smoker

Use a cord that is 12 gauge or better (the lower the gauge number the more wattage and amps it can handle), the shorter the extension cord the better.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

beefmann

i run 900 watt element, a blower, timer and pid all on 14 gage cord 15 foot in length and am receiving the drop directly from the  pole where Edison transformer is. how far Edison transformers  has a lot to do with it, also at the receptacle I have a reading of 120 volts  not lower like in most cases. if you  have a lower voltage you  might  have problems  like lower temps and slower recovery   

EDinNB

Wire guage size is proportional to the length of the extention cord but in no case should you use anything less than 14 ga, and keep the cord as short as possible.  I'd even reccommend making a cord to the exact length you require and never let it leave the smoker's side. 

EDinNB

freakaccident

I used a 10 foot orange heavy gauge extension cord I bought at Lowes and have had zero issues.  Go to the hardware store and get the fattest and shortest one you can find.

Habanero Smoker

Since my winters are fairly cold, I not only look for gauge but the color of the cord. If the cord is blue that generally means the insulation covering the cord remains flexible in cold temperature, but read the label to be sure. The cord remaining flexible makes a big difference when you are outside trying to hook every thing up.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

viper125

Just seasoned mine with a extedntion cord I use with my out door tools. No problems at all. Just remember the more watts,more lenght lower numbers. I think mine are all 10-12ga.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.