Smoking element not warming up!

Started by aerostef, July 02, 2011, 01:52:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aerostef

It is only my 3rd smoke and the smoke generator failed. I'm not impressed so far!

- The heat plate remains cold to the touch
- No error message
- The wiring inside the unit is fine.

Any ideas?
I brew my own beer too!
Www.garden-oven.co.uk

Habanero Smoker

Hi Aerostef;

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your problem.

Going by what you have eliminated through your troubleshooting; it could be your element, or loose wire in the cabinet or the in-line fuse has blown. If you have a multi-meter you can test the element to see if it is good. Remove the element, set the multimeter to ohms. If it is good it should give you a reading of 27 - 32ohms. If it is faulty it will read zero. If it is a loose wire in the cabinet you will need to remove the back of the oven to chech that wiring.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

aerostef

Thanks for your reply, not sure if I explained the issue properly though.

The heating element of the oven part if fine, what is not working is the plate heating up the puck. It remains cold to the touch. I checked the fuse, and there is no loose connection inside the unit. I unplug and replugged them all...

I brew my own beer too!
Www.garden-oven.co.uk

Habanero Smoker

It me; I misread your post.

If there are no error messages, make sure that you are pushing the buttons dead center and firmly; especially if you have large fingers. That is one of the major causes of bisquette burner or oven not working.

Here is a link that may be useful:
Bradley FAQ's

Sometimes Brian from Bradley logs in, and he may be able to assist your further. If you can't get it running today call them first thing Monday morning; it's not a holiday in Canada.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

aerostef

I tried pushing the button harder, but with no results. The display says it is smoking, so I assume the switch is ok.

I'm based in England, I think it is time to call the reseller!
I brew my own beer too!
Www.garden-oven.co.uk

Habanero Smoker

If your reseller is GAKKA I hear they provide excellent service.

One other thing you may want to try. Open the genereator, unplug the wires going to the burner and reattach them. Sometimes they look connected when then are not. If there was something wrong with the bisquette burner itself, you would get an "E" or "E-1" error which would shut the system down.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

aerostef

The reseller is a local shop but yes, the distributor for the UK is GAKKA.
They are sending me a new bisquette burner this week. We'll see how it goes!
I brew my own beer too!
Www.garden-oven.co.uk

Meat tooth

It's unfortunate, but these things happen... Bradley is very good here in Canada, had two warranty claims since I got my OBS, new parts were sent no questions asked, no shipping, or other charges. I've had no problems that affected performance, but they stood by their product! I am a very happy Bradley owner, the goodies that come out of there are beyond description!
Chew carefully and don't let your meat loaf.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: aerostef on July 03, 2011, 12:00:47 AM
The reseller is a local shop but yes, the distributor for the UK is GAKKA.
They are sending me a new bisquette burner this week. We'll see how it goes!

Great! You should be up and running in no time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

aerostef

The new part arrived and we are back in business!

Great support from the local dealer (carp trading UK) and Bradley reseller GAKKA! 
Thank you all also on the forum for your help.
I brew my own beer too!
Www.garden-oven.co.uk

ghost9mm

Glad to hear that you are up and running, that's great customer service...sorry you had a problem..
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill