Work in progress - Smoked onion and jalapeno dip

Started by Whitey Jr, July 10, 2011, 06:34:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitey Jr

I took an old recipe for onion dip that I used to make a lot years ago and tweaked it a bit for a smokey spicy dip for chips or veggies. I'm still fine tuning, but this is what I have so far.

1 large sweet onion
2 regular jalapenos
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 1/2 cup sour cream
3/4 cup mayo
1/2 tsp garlic pwdr
1/4 tsp white pepper

Peel the onion and cut into quarters like so (please forgive the cell phone pictures):

I smoked at 200 for 2 hours (I used apple this time). This is what they looked like coming out:

Now this time around I purposely didn't smoke the peppers. My first thought was I wanted that fresh zing of the jalapenos to contrast with the more deep savory flavour (hopefully) of the smoked onion. Once the onion was done and cool enogh to handle I did a fine dice and popped into the skillet (with a touch of olive oil) on low.

Just like the smoker I went low and slow to really darken and carmelize those bits of onion.

While that was going on I did a very fine dice on the jalapenos and mixed them in a bowl with the rest of the ingredients and let them sit. Once the onions were nice and dark I let them sit and come to about room temp before mixing them in.

The first taste was promising, but (at least what I remember from doing the regular onion recipe before) it really needs at least a few hours in the fridge (overnight even better) for the flavours to meld. I'll try it later tonight or tomorrow and report back.

-Whitey Jr

Caribou

Hi Whitey,
That dip sounds really good.
You're right about letting the smoke flavor marry and mature a bit.
Looking forward to hearing your report. ;)
Carolyn

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Whitey Jr

The first taste test today was pretty good. The flavours work well together and the heat is definitely there. The one think I think I'll try next time is putting the jalapeno bits in with the onion for the last few minutes, just to soften them up. Right now they stand out a bit as little tiny crunchy bits in amongst the rest of the softer ingredients. Maybe play around with the spices a bit too. Dill maybe cumin?

-Whitey Jr

ghost9mm

Keep her going Whitey it really sounds good, keep us posted how it all comes out..wonder what it would taste like if you crumbled some bacon in there not much just a touch..
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill