• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoker will not get hot.

Started by Tulip, July 16, 2011, 11:34:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tulip

I have a 4 rack Digital Bradley Smoker and I absolutely love it.  I have used it quite a bit and always stored it in the garage with a cover on it.  I turned it on the other day to bring the temps up to smoke a Pork tenderloin, and it only came up to 160 with the smoke generator on.  I noticed that the heating element was not getting hot in the smoker so I called Bradley and they sent me another heating element.  I replaced the heating element today and did not turn on the smoke generator just to make sure that the heating element was working properly and it is still not getting hot.  I can actually touch the element and it is not hot at all.  I have replaced the circuit board once due to the buttons not responding.  It is possible that the circuit board is bad again?  Have any of you experienced this issue.  Thanks for your advice and knowledge in advance.

Thanks,

Tulip

thirtydaZe

someone else will probably chime in with the best answer, but quick off the top of my head, there is a fuse in the back of the smoker, and it requires you to take the back panel off to get to it, and also there is a fuse in the smoke generator, but im not sure that one effects your heater.

hold tight someone will more than likely be able to tell you whats going on for sure.

DBS 6 Rack
Auber PID 1202 Dual Probe
Yoder Cheyenne 16

beefmann

check the following

1) all cords are pushed all the way in, especially the one at both ends from the smoke generator to the cabinet.
2) check that the connections you  have made on the new element are snug.
3) check fuses
4) check that the digital controls powers up and is supplying power to the heater

Habanero Smoker

Have you plugged your cabinet directly into an outlet to see if the element will work? To do this you will need to use a computer power cord. If it doesn't work, then you are sure that the problem or at least part of the problem is in the cabinet.

Sometimes when you change an element, if you pull the wiring out too far you can disconnect the wires at the plug. To check the wiring to the plug you will have to remove the back panel. With the back panel removed you will also see the in-line fuse that thirtydaZe mentioned, but you can't tell if it is blown by looking at it.

Besides the above help from thirtydaZe and beefman, here is a link to some more tips that may be helpful.
FAQ's

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tulip

Before I posted on here I checked the cords and made sure the digital controls were working.  In the past I have learned that if you unplug the cords and plugged them in again snuggly, that fixed the issue; not so in this case. 

Here are the things I checked.

1)  Checked the fuse on the smoke generator and it was fine
2)  I did what Habanero Smoker suggested with an extra computer power cord I had laying around and what do you know the heating element was glowing red in no time.   :o

So based on that, I know the connections on my smoker box itself are good, but now this means that there is something wrong with the smoke generator.  I am guessing the circuit board or the connections in the smoke generator. ?

Tulip

Okay I realized what I didn't do now.  I didn't check the connection on the cord at the smoke generator.  DOH!!!!!!!!  It is working now.  Thanks guys for all the help and I am sorry I wasted your time. 

GusRobin

Don't feel bad. The reason all these guys can give you tips on what to check is that most of us have been there. The lack of a properly plugged plug is one of the most "popular" experiences had by all. ;D
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

ghost9mm

Tulip...don't ever feel like you wasted anyones time, we have all been in the same boat at one time or another, maybe not for the same reason, but in the boat we were...It's just great to come to the forum and ask for help...and someone comes up with an answer or just a suggestion that will or might help...really glad to know that things are as they should be...good luck..
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

TedEbear

Quote from: Tulip on July 16, 2011, 01:55:46 PM

Here are the things I checked.

1)  Checked the fuse on the smoke generator and it was fine
2)  I did what Habanero Smoker suggested with an extra computer power cord I had laying around and what do you know the heating element was glowing red in no time.   

I know you said that you fixed the problem but if something happens in the future I'm not sure if you're aware that there is more than one fuse in the Bradley. You didn't say anything about checking that one. As others have mentioned there is a second inline fuse that you have to remove the back panel of the tower to get to.  It looks like this: