Dehydrating fruit with the Bradley?

Started by Buck n Doe, July 19, 2011, 02:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck n Doe

Hello, not too experienced with my Bradley smoker yet, and not overly familiar with the resources and wealth of web information so am posing my question to this awesome group of seasoned smokers and experts.

I came into a large amount of mangos and decided it was the perfect op to use my Bradley as a dehydrator.  Ive not found much information yet on how to accomplish this in terms of preparing the fruit, temperature to use and times dehydrating and would appreciate any tips anyone can send my way.

Also, on pleasure reading through this site, Ive come across the acronym "ABT" and am wondering if anyone can please tell me what this stands for. 

Thanx a bunch! 
Doe.

viper125

I am not familer with using the bradley either. But dehydrating really don't require heat so much as air movement. Remember reading about using the paper furnace filters and a window fan to do it. The ant I believe stands for atomic buffalo turf.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Quarlow

Close Viper, ABT is Atomic Buffalo Turds. Jalapeno's sliced in half or cut the tops off (if you have a stand rack) clean them out, then stuff with cream cheese and then wrap with bacon. Put them on a rack and smoke/cook till bacon is done. Enjoy.
As for drying fruit I haven't seen anyone use it, but with some experimenting it should work. I have thought about doing it, just haven't got around to it.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Buck n Doe

Thanx folks...Im gonna just "wing" on the fruit dehydrating and I'll post back what Ive done and what the results are. 

The "Turds" sound devine and right down Buck's alley so I will build some up in the next day or two and let him be the judge (he rarely turns down anything I create, so all good there). 

I put some smoke on chicken pieces for a coupla hours and have 'em finishing up in the oven, so just about time to dig in around our shack...good eats to everyone and thanx for the words!

Doe

Quarlow

Give it your best shot Doe, and remember there are no mistakes here, just good tasting accidents....uh er well it goes something like that. Don't forget to take pics. We love our pics here.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Habanero Smoker

I have dried apples in the Bradley, and even without applying smoke you will get a slight smoke flavor to the fruit.

What I did was find out how to prepare apples for dehydrating. After preparing the apples, I placed them in the Bradley and set my temperature controller to 140°F. The cabinet does not dry them evenly, so you have to rotate the racks; top/bottom - front/back; and check and pick off the pieces that dry much earlier them the others.

I haven't tried drying mangoes. They have a different type of flesh, so do a search on how to prepare them for drying, then use the drying technique above.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

viper125

I believe if I was trying to dehydrate fruit i'd clean the smoke generator off really good. Then turn it on with the cabinet heater off. Should maintain the low temp better,also if you could find a small fan and put it on top covering like half the vent it might move some air in there.
Once watch Elton Brown dehydrate using new paper furnace filters. He put the fruit on one cover with another till he had four or five Than top with one. Strap it together using large rubber bands or bungy cords and strap to the front of a window fan and point out the window. Thought that was a good idea.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.