• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Butcher Cured Ham Question???

Started by wkahler, August 01, 2011, 07:35:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wkahler

We just got out hog taken to the butcher and we where calling in out cuts and how we wanted it processed.  We got our pig done here last year and the hams we got as "fresh hams" with out them smoking them or curing them.  We this year i thought i would have them cure them and not smoke them to make it easier on the smoking time here.  She said that when they smoke them that is the same as curing the????  Maybe i am confused and i am thinking of brining them as curing??  So any ways we got a load of fresh hams cut to 5lbs and the rest like we got it last year with a different set of spice blends in the sausage.

So the point of my post is this.............is curing the same as a brine???
The smoking lamp is lit!!!

Caribou

I would say "no"
Brines don't always contain the nitrates requited to "cure" the meat.
Carolyn

viper125

I know in Kentucky they use to cure with salt and no cure.Its a longer process but can be done. They would salt cure and then smoke. That would keep all year. They had no ice or way to freeze then. Just went to the smoke house and cut off what you needed. But also every thing was extremely salty.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Tenpoint5

Basically what she is telling you is it is gonna cost you the same to have it cured as it would to cure it and have it smoked. Get the fresh hams and do the curing and smoking yourself. It isn't that hard, I have done a couple. I know Habs also has a recipe for this process. Here is mine if you want to go this route.

Home Cured Ham

The Brine/Pickle for Ham that I used is
5 quarts ice water (38-40*F)
1 pound of Salt (I use Kosher)
1 cup Powdered Dextrose
2/3 cup Insta Cure #1

The recipe calls for the ham to be injected 10% by weight. I used 15%. To do the math here is the formula and explanation of how to do it.

Pump injecting formula is generally this...
15% x Xoz = oz per pump

My ham is around 22 lb or 352 oz; being 16oz per pound.
This now gives me  an easy plug in formula

.15 x 352oz =52.8oz needed for pumping

The injector I use holds 4oz at a time. Rounding off I get this...
52/4=13 or 52.8/4=13.2

So that means 13 full injections, or 13.2 if you wish to get technical, but the .2 isn't a problem

Mix the brine in the bucket. Then after injecting and making sure to get in the shank and around all the bones in the ham. Submerge the ham in the bucket and refrigerate for 5-7 days. Place in stockinette and hang in smokehouse.

Smoking
Hang Ham in preheated smoker to 120* and hold for 12 Hours (Vent Full Open) then
Increase temp to 140* start smoke and smoke for 8 Hours (Vent at Half) then
Increase temp to 170* until IT of 142* For a fully cooked ham, Hold until the IT reaches 152-155*
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

GusRobin

Diito wha t Chris (10.5) said. I have used his recipe and process and the hardest part was lack of patience as it took about 30 hrs total in the smoker. But it was good and worth it.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

viper125

Do you change the times for small hams? Seems like you'd have to. Figuring on doing one this fall.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

wkahler

So on my Traeger............time and temp different?!?!?  I have a 180 thermo and can do it that way just no real way to hang it!?!?!  Been trying to talk the wife into a Bradley just not happening LOL!

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on August 01, 2011, 12:30:25 PM
Basically what she is telling you is it is gonna cost you the same to have it cured as it would to cure it and have it smoked. Get the fresh hams and do the curing and smoking yourself. It isn't that hard, I have done a couple. I know Habs also has a recipe for this process. Here is mine if you want to go this route.

Home Cured Ham

The Brine/Pickle for Ham that I used is
5 quarts ice water (38-40*F)
1 pound of Salt (I use Kosher)
1 cup Powdered Dextrose
2/3 cup Insta Cure #1

The recipe calls for the ham to be injected 10% by weight. I used 15%. To do the math here is the formula and explanation of how to do it.

Pump injecting formula is generally this...
15% x Xoz = oz per pump

My ham is around 22 lb or 352 oz; being 16oz per pound.
This now gives me  an easy plug in formula

.15 x 352oz =52.8oz needed for pumping

The injector I use holds 4oz at a time. Rounding off I get this...
52/4=13 or 52.8/4=13.2

So that means 13 full injections, or 13.2 if you wish to get technical, but the .2 isn't a problem

Mix the brine in the bucket. Then after injecting and making sure to get in the shank and around all the bones in the ham. Submerge the ham in the bucket and refrigerate for 5-7 days. Place in stockinette and hang in smokehouse.

Smoking
Hang Ham in preheated smoker to 120* and hold for 12 Hours (Vent Full Open) then
Increase temp to 140* start smoke and smoke for 8 Hours (Vent at Half) then
Increase temp to 170* until IT of 142* For a fully cooked ham, Hold until the IT reaches 152-155*

wkahler

Ditto on that question!!

Quote from: viper125 on August 01, 2011, 04:20:25 PM
Do you change the times for small hams? Seems like you'd have to. Figuring on doing one this fall.

Habanero Smoker

When I make hams, if they can fit on the rack I don't hang them. I often will cut the hock off, if it is still attached so that it will fit.

My process is slightly different: Smoked Cured Hams

If you try this recipe, try not to skip the juniper berries. If you can't find juniper berries you can substitute 1 teaspoon of gin for every two berries. Just a side note; I've never used gin as a substitute myself. One of these days I'm going to update the recipe to reflect that.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tenpoint5

Quote from: wkahler on August 01, 2011, 05:39:45 PM
So on my Traeger............time and temp different?!?!?  I have a 180 thermo and can do it that way just no real way to hang it!?!?!  Been trying to talk the wife into a Bradley just not happening LOL!

I haven't done one on my Traeger. So I am not sure how that would affect the times. I wouldn't change the times. The cure is going to keep the meat safe. Just with a smaller ham it will take less time in the last phase to make the IT of 152-155ยบ
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

squirtthecat

My 2 cents on the Traeger...

I would get that ham up as high as possible away from the drip pan.  And towards the left side (the cool side) of the cooking chamber.   Probably on a jerky rack or something like that, setting on top of a foil pan.    That will give it more indirect heat and allow the smoke to circulate in and around the ham.

I'd set it on smoke and let it go.   Check the temps & hopper from time to time, as it is going to take quite a while.

wkahler

This is the way i do my turkeys when i do them.  Just smoke them for a while and then kick up the temp.  I am going to have to wait and see which way i go with it.  I am looking forward to it and hope that i can master it as we get a pig ever year and usually end up wasting the hams since i just don't have the patience to do it LOL!!
Quote from: squirtthecat on August 02, 2011, 06:32:11 AM

My 2 cents on the Traeger...

I would get that ham up as high as possible away from the drip pan.  And towards the left side (the cool side) of the cooking chamber.   Probably on a jerky rack or something like that, setting on top of a foil pan.    That will give it more indirect heat and allow the smoke to circulate in and around the ham.

I'd set it on smoke and let it go.   Check the temps & hopper from time to time, as it is going to take quite a while.