• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Penzeys

Started by smoke em if you got em, August 03, 2011, 05:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoke em if you got em

Hi all, I will be making my first trip to Penzeys this weekend. I'm sure I'll be blown away by the extensive selection they have so I need some help. Please help me compile a list of "must have" spices, and also I'd appreciate any input on stuff you tried that wasn't so good.

Thanks
Mike
OBS w/ dual element and fan mods
Dual-Probe auber pid
Charbroil BEESR
Charbroil SRG
Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator
Outdoor Gourmet pellet grill
Old Smokey #22 charcoal grill
Camp Chef DLX pellet grill

Keymaster

I thinks they have your request on their website if you poke around a bit. Its hard for us to make a list for you if we don't know what you like to cook ;D ;D ;D

Caribou

I buy most of my spices, herbs and vanilla from penzeys.
My favorite blends they have are:

English Prime Rib Rub - dynamite in burgers
BBQ 3000
Chicken Taco
Breakfast Sausage
Bratwurst Sausage
Sate
Czar Dust Memories-great on roasted winter squash with butter and maple syrup

Carolyn

DTAggie

Breakfast sausage is awesome!  Family loves the taco seasoning.  Not near as salty as store brands.  English prime rib is good.  Northwoods fire kicks a**!  They have a salt free blend called Mural of Flavor that rocks on grilled chicken breast.

Habanero Smoker

As mentioned it is difficult to help when we don't know you interests.

I don't buy many of their spice blends, but as Carolyn mentioned the BBQ 3000, and the Bratwurst Sausage seasonings are great. I usually mix my own sausage seasonings, but when making brats I will use the Penzy's mix.

One whole spice that should be in your cabinet is  their Whole Special Extra Bold Indian Black Peppercorns. It is the best black pepper I have come across. If you are into brining and/or pickling, their pickling spice is the best. A little pricey, but worth it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pensrock

smoke em if you got em

Quote from: Keymaster on August 03, 2011, 07:21:59 PM
I thinks they have your request on their website if you poke around a bit. Its hard for us to make a list for you if we don't know what you like to cook ;D ;D ;D

Good point. I haven't really gotten into pickling or brining yet. I usually make gb jerky, brisket, pulled pork, chicken and burgers. I am going to start making sausage as soon as I get my pid.
Mike
OBS w/ dual element and fan mods
Dual-Probe auber pid
Charbroil BEESR
Charbroil SRG
Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator
Outdoor Gourmet pellet grill
Old Smokey #22 charcoal grill
Camp Chef DLX pellet grill

OU812

I buy all my spices from Penzeys and have to agree with what has already been said.

I might add that if you have a recipe that you have been using the store bought spices in you might have to cut back a little with the Penzeys as they have more flavor.

Also if you like tacos try there Bold Taco seasoning its a hit at my place and aint to hot for the wife.  ::)

Another great thing about Penzeys is they have an open jar of most of there seasonings sitting next to each seasoning so you can smell and taste it before ya buy it.

I buy in bulk and then put in a bottle on my spice rack, the rest goes in the bottom drawer of my fridge.

The things I use the most of is granulated garlic, granulated onion and black pepper.

There lemon pepper is the best I have found, use it all the time.

squirtthecat

Love Penzeys...   Even ran into a little pint-sized location in Grand Central Terminal.   (no sampling at this one)