Tomatoes, Tomatoes, Tomatoes

Started by ghost9mm, August 05, 2011, 05:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghost9mm

Pat and I got 2 1/2 bushels of tomatoes yesterday and today we canned them, lot of work but they really make for good soups and anything else you use tomatoes for, bring on winter time....

Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

grnhs

good job you 2, our tomatoes haven't done much this summer. we have just started getting the heat the rest of you have had.
But we are doing dill pickles tomorrow morning.
probably not that many quarts though :)

Tenpoint5

Miss Pat must be beating the Hell out of that Easy Button if she has that much energy!! You go Miss Pat were pulling for you. Then we can catch you on the next go round of the Midwest Smoke Out.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ghost9mm

Hi Chris...I just called Pat to come back in the office to read your post and she said to say thank you and to give your wife a hug for her..she said she would hug your neck if you were close by... :D
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

smoker pete

Great job on those tomaters!!

We used to do those ourselves many moons ago and you're right about them being great for lots of things.  Lot of work but well worth it ;D

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

OU812

Holy Crap,,,,,,, thats allot of tomatoes.

Caribou

Great job! Those look great :)
Still waiting on a red tomato to appear in the garden.  Just a really weird season this year.
Supposed to be 38F here tonight.  :o
Lots of tomatillos coming on though.
Carolyn

Keymaster

Nice job, a couple can never have enough maters for the winter ;)

viper125

We've been canning tomatoes,sause,juice for two weeks. Planted 125 plants this year. Don't need so many next year.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Caribou

Quote from: viper125 on September 02, 2011, 09:31:42 PM
We've been canning tomatoes,sause,juice for two weeks. Planted 125 plants this year. Don't need so many next year.
That's a lot of plants Viper.
Which varieties do you like the best?
Carolyn

Quarlow

Holy mackinaw. That makes my 5 to 8 jar jam work look like childs play. Nice job.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

viper125

Well the Big or better girls and boys are good. Tried some hillbilly and another heritage tomato but i'm not impressed with them. The heritage or older tomatoes don't have the hardiness and disease resistance of the newer ones. I find I like them all mixed together better then separated. We normally do a year of 100 or so then cut back to 30-60 depending for a year or two. For two of us we do go through a lot. But remember I have 5 kids and 11 grand kids. We like chili,stuffed peppers and cabbage which we make and freeze too.Pasta, veg y soup, and a lot of other things with tomato's. Plus we make it for at least a year of living. Went through over 400 quart jars so far and will be buying more soon. But beat buying in stores, Better eating,better prices and I know whats in it. LOL  I quit the store when vegys started coming from overseas.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

beefmann

great looking tomtoes  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Oldman

I use to can tomatoes but I can grow them pretty much around the year here where I live.  Those do look nice.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!