• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Just a teaser post for now....

Started by ExpatCanadian, August 10, 2011, 09:39:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExpatCanadian

I just got back from my good friend Daniela's 50th birthday party in Switzerland this past weekend.  Some of you may remember a post I did about 18 months ago when I returned from the same place having had the pleasure of seeing some traditional mountain meat curing.  Well, although it was only a quick weekend trip, I had the chance to spend an hour or so with another friend of Daniela, this time the local butcher.  I'm afraid I didn't get many photos in his place...  for the rather surreal reason that his butcher shop is in fact an outbuilding of a local low security prison :o and he "employs" prisoners in his shop....  and for that reason when the "employees" were around I wasn't allowed to use my phone or camera!  However, I did get a cheeky quick photo or 2 of some of his equipment and a few other shots of the party food later that night.

BUT...  my major score as far as I am concerned is that I came away from the weekend with a collection of recipes for various dried "salsiz" and some fresh and cured sausages which I can't wait to try.  The butcher friend also mixed up a couple of packets of his own spice mix for his personal "Hauswürst" for me, enough for 2 x 5 kg batches. The teaser part of this post is that I will post the results of my efforts in a few weeks when I get some time to actually get stuck in.

In the meantime...  enjoy!

His smoker...  not so different really than a Bradley with a PID & fan kit!  All fully programmable, uses chipped wood and a hotplate and is just slightly bigger  :)

The smoke generator and wood hopper:

Meat emulsifier (the right side of this machine, out of the photo, is the grinder...  had to put my phone away):

Giant stuffer + view inside meat hopper:

3 of his products; Cervelat, Weisswurst (both emulsified using the machine above) and Hauswurst (the most amazing smoked sausage I think I have ever tasted!!!)

The cook ...er...  I mean, the sausages being cooked  ;) ;) ;) ::) ::) ::)

Polenta and Risotto for 120!!!

And finally...  the "Salsiz" that I can only aspire to produce....  but will give it a damn fine try!

NePaSmoKer

Nice teaser post.

And i like that cutter. Where does one get it at?

classicrockgriller

Always love the interesting places you get yourself into.

Great teaser. Thanks!

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: SouthernSmoked on August 10, 2011, 11:48:05 AM
Like the teaser...love the cutter!

I found a Biltong cutter online but not as nice as the one in the pic.

OU812

Thats way cool to be able to see things like that!

I bet it smelled gooood in there.

KyNola

Way cool.  Thanks for sharing the photos.

ghost9mm

Really nice to see how others do things and really enjoy the pics...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Keymaster

Whats the average stay in prison, It may be worth stealing a candy bar just to learn how to make sausage for a month, I get three weeks off next year  ;D

NePaSmoKer

I gotta git me one dem cutters. The wood LJ cutter not the buffalo chopper  :o

Keymaster

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on August 10, 2011, 06:41:23 PM
I gotta git me one dem cutters. The wood LJ cutter not the buffalo chopper  :o
Let me know when you find one Rick, I want one too!!!

NePaSmoKer

I wonder if Q could build one  ;D

ExpatCanadian

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on August 10, 2011, 10:21:46 AM
Nice teaser post.

And i like that cutter. Where does one get it at?

NePas... and everyone else who has expressed interest in the cutter... Daniela has a stack of them, she uses them in her restaurant to serve the salsiz. I expect she bought them locally, so maybe I can find out about a bulk purchase myself and see what I could do about sending them over? I doubt they are that expensive individually but its the shipping that might kill it :-(

I'll get back to you all on this...

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.544451,-0.033745

ExpatCanadian

Quote from: Keymaster on August 10, 2011, 05:56:01 PM
Whats the average stay in prison, It may be worth stealing a candy bar just to learn how to make sausage for a month, I get three weeks off next year  ;D

LMAO!!!!  The thought crossed my mind... but I think I'll just stick with my friendship connections as a first option!!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.544396,-0.033719