• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Tenpoint's Pizza Brats

Started by Bigbirdoffroad, August 11, 2011, 06:50:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigbirdoffroad

Made up some Pizza Brats. This is my first attempt at regular sausage. I've made summer sausage but thats it. Everything was going well untill 2/3rds of the way thru stuffing. I asked the butcher for enough casings for 15lbs of sausage, even tho I was only making 10lbs, this way I would have enough....Yeah Right!!!!! I got about 6-7lbs stuffed and I ran out of casings!!!! Good thing I had a new package of collegen casings in the fridge that I was going to use for hotdogs. I finish stuffing and ready to pack up my fresh sausage 8:00pm. This is when I realize, I only have 4 foodsaver bags!!!! SOB!!! I had been drinking a few beers so driving to the store is not an option. so I look for ziplocks. Awsome, I have two boxes. Crap, they are quart size and snack size. What to do now? I used up the rest of my plastic wrap for the remaining sausage. Now I decide I want to try these things out. I fire up the grill, get it to temp and throw two of the collegen case sausages on the grill, close lid. I open the lid up 2min later, the casings split and most of the stuffing fell thru the grates on the grill. Now I'm so mad that I cant even think straight. Either way, here's some pics.
Here's The Meat!

Dry and wet mixed, veggies ready to grind.

My helper on the grinder.

The pre mix with the seasoning and cheese.

All mixed and in the Kirby Cannon

Ready to stuff!!

Here's where I ran out of casings.

The collegen ones.
I'm not the smartest peanut in the turd!

Bigbirdoffroad

OU812, Did you notice the shirt I'm wearing???? Figured you'd like it!!!

NePaSmoKer

OU812

Quote from: Bigbirdoffroad on August 11, 2011, 06:53:03 AM

Yes sir!

Them sausages look great and you linked them like a pro.

Kinda sucks you had a blow out on the grill, I'm thinkin to hot of a grill.  ::)

Your helper is a cutie,,,I can remember when my helper was that little,,,shes in collage now.

pensrock

Nice, I made a batch last weekend myself. I pretty much followed the recipe except I added some Italian seasoning and granulated garlic. For the cheese I chunked up some smoked provalone. All was going well till I found I only had one long casing. It was good for about five pounds so the other five pounds is loose sausage. I think I'll make meatballs out of it and cook in sauce.

ghost9mm

Well done....the pizza brats really look killer...well done...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Bigbirdoffroad

Quote from: OU812 on August 11, 2011, 08:21:03 AM
Quote from: Bigbirdoffroad on August 11, 2011, 06:53:03 AM

Yes sir!

Them sausages look great and you linked them like a pro.

Kinda sucks you had a blow out on the grill, I'm thinkin to hot of a grill.  ::)

Your helper is a cutie,,,I can remember when my helper was that little,,,shes in collage now.
Yeah, having a helper is always great. She even did a good job turning the plate for a nice coil as I stuffed the casings. She loves to help out.

TestRocket

Nice shirt, cute helper and great looking brats! Congrats!  ;D

Tenpoint5

Brats look great!! Won't be long and your little helper will be making her own snack sticks and BACON and.......
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

squirtthecat

Now you just need to teach her to drive!   ;) ;)

OU812

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on August 11, 2011, 10:44:50 AM
Brats look great!! Won't be long and your little helper will be making her own snack sticks and BACON and.......

and jerky.  ;D

Bigbirdoffroad

Quote from: OU812 on August 11, 2011, 11:18:41 AM
Quote from: Tenpoint5 on August 11, 2011, 10:44:50 AM

and jerky.  ;D

Thats AWSOME!!! I've been teaching my little helper to cook for a year or so now. I have her to the point where she makes us breakfast on her own. Not too bad for a 9 year old!!! She will be posting on her own in no time.

pikeman_95

Anthony

Great looking brats.
Now you know why I buy a full hank of sausage casings at a time. They always tell you they will hold more then they will. You can buy extra casings from High Country that are seal packed in salt and rather dried and do not need to be refrigerated. I stick a few packs in the freezer and if I have a short coming I can still wash some out and keep going. I like your helper. My little helper is in her late 30's now. Kind of miss her help. Looks like the stuffer worked well enough. let me know when you need a mixer. I have now finished my 5 gallon version. Used it this weekend. I have not posted pictures yet but will get to it soon. Have you made jerky yet with your stuffer??
good work.

Kirby

SouthernSmoked

Heck Yeah! Pizza Brats look awesome!!

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Bigbirdoffroad

Quote from: pikeman_95 on August 11, 2011, 07:56:42 PM
Anthony

Great looking brats.
Now you know why I buy a full hank of sausage casings at a time. They always tell you they will hold more then they will. You can buy extra casings from High Country that are seal packed in salt and rather dried and do not need to be refrigerated. I stick a few packs in the freezer and if I have a short coming I can still wash some out and keep going. I like your helper. My little helper is in her late 30's now. Kind of miss her help. Looks like the stuffer worked well enough. let me know when you need a mixer. I have now finished my 5 gallon version. Used it this weekend. I have not posted pictures yet but will get to it soon. Have you made jerky yet with your stuffer??
good work.

Kirby
Kirby,

Havent made up any jerky yet. I still need to get some frog mats. As far as the mixer, I'll probally getting a hold of you sooner or later. It's just so hard to find the time for using the stuffer. I was lucky to get the lawn mowed yesterday.
Thanks,
Anthony