M-I-L Pulled Pork Finished Pics

Started by DTAggie, August 13, 2011, 09:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DTAggie

Decided to start a new post for the finished pics on the pulled pork for my ailing mother-in-law.  Put 2 butts totaling 13.87 lbs. on at 10:30 last night.  It has not rained in North Texas in about two months.  Wife wakes me up at 6:30 saying it is pouring down rain.  I flew out of bed and out back to check the OBS as it is not fully protected from the elements.  It was pretty soaked.  The bucket I keep next to it to pour the water pan into had quite a bit of water.

However, it was holding temp at 225* and butts were 160*.  I put the beach umbrella up to protect it and keep on cooking.  OBS seems no worse for the wear.  Only lost one thermometer.  Other still works.  At 4:00, both butts hit 205*.  Put them in FTC for about 4 hours and here is what I have.

Smaller butt

I like big butts and I cannot lie

Bone falling right out of small butt

Pulled and bark cut up.  This batch all vac sealed for M-I-L

Bone falling out of the big butt

Most of this vac sealed for opening day of Dove Season.  Have to say I think scoring the fat cap helped the smoke and spice penetrate the meat better.

classicrockgriller

Ka Honu

Very nice.  I agree about the scoring; it gives you more surface area.  I think it helps the bark, too.

ghost9mm

Way to go David...that is some impressive bark on that butt, and man when that bone just pulls out you know you got a winner...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

SouthernSmoked

Awesome Barq David!   That really looks good!!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

irish_smoker

That does look fantastic, I'm sure the MIL will enjoy every bit of that!

Your comment reminds me of a shirt a girl at my local butcher was wearing a few weeks ago, "I like pig butts and I cannot lie"

OU812

Nice lookin pile of pork David.

That should bring up a smile for the M I L.  ;D

Chili Head

Looks tasty from here!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tenpoint5

Looks really good David, I am sure the MIL will be more than appreciative. Since I started scoring the butts I wont do it any other way now.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ccfdmike

That sure looks wonderful! Very nice job

DTAggie

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on August 15, 2011, 02:07:34 PM
Looks really good David, I am sure the MIL will be more than appreciative. Since I started scoring the butts I wont do it any other way now.

I am sold on the scoring.  I vac sealed the M-I-L butt.  Thought I was going to vac seal the larger butt for opening weekend of Dove season.  Son has dang near eaten the whole container!  His sister was getting on him today for not saving her any!