Aaaargh! Bad element rears its head.

Started by ColoradoSmoking, August 13, 2011, 09:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColoradoSmoking

Got my Bradley Digital 4 rack smoker from Walmart online the second week of July 2011.  Its been great!  For about 5-6 smokes :(
Today fired up the smoker and temp never got above 140ish.  I was really hoping I was going to miss the bad element run. 
Happened today and Bradley USA is closed.  Left an email and am going to call Monday. 
Still ended up smokin some meat and the cooking in oven.  But not what I wanted.
I'll see how the Customer Service is...hope its fast.

classicrockgriller

Sorry it happen CS.

Bradley will fix you up super quick.

Call them early Monday Morn and you will probably have it by Wednesday.

ffrcoupe

Not to hijack this thread but can you get the elements other places than Bradley? Is there a better alternative?

classicrockgriller

Quote from: ffrcoupe on August 13, 2011, 11:10:34 PM
Not to hijack this thread but can you get the elements other places than Bradley? Is there a better alternative?

Yard and Pool, but He gets them from Bradley.

The newer elements have not had any problems.

Habanero Smoker

Hi ColoradoSmoking;

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to have to welcome you in this manner. If you are under warranty Bradley will replace them for free.

A failed element seems to be the most common problem these days, but it won't hurt to do some trouble shooting - there may be another cause for the lack of heat.

Here is a link to some trouble shooting ideas and tips:
Bradley FAQ's

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ColoradoSmoking

Thanks for the info.  Before I sent the email or posted on here, I followed all the troubleshooting tips.
I even tried all the stuff forum members suggested.
I am hoping it is the element.  If not my smoking cabinet is croaked.

ColoradoSmoking

Shoot...I called on Tuesday (worked late Monday) and reported the problem.  Told I would have in two days.  Which would be Thursday.
Its Saturday.  Still havent received it and they are closed today.  Aaargh....guess I'll see if there is a tracking number. 
We'll see what happens.

mikecorn.1

Just at thought,  :P. If Bradley has a problem with old elements and not the new ones, why don't they just put the newer elements in instead of having the customers deal with the headache of getting a replacement.  Or why not when you purchase a Bradley you call to register it and they can see by he serial # if maybe you have an older elementand  just send you one. I'm not knocking them for customer service, it is great. I recently called to order some parts to get rid of the dreaded E errors and they were extremely helpful. No more E errors.  :). luckily I have never had a problem with my element. Going on 2 years and 5 months.
Mike

ColoradoSmoking

Ok...Got my element yesterday.  Bradley sent last Monday and I received Friday.  The USPS had issues delivering. 

So I unpack my element and it looked like it has been used.

I don't want to be using previously used items....I bought the grill new.  I want new items when replaced.

What do you folks think?  I think it could be possible it was tested out, but I want opinions.

I cant figure out how to post an image.  I took a picture.  The element looks dark in the middle like it has been used.

Thanks

muebe

Quote from: ColoradoSmoking on August 25, 2011, 11:41:42 AM
Ok...Got my element yesterday.  Bradley sent last Monday and I received Friday.  The USPS had issues delivering. 

So I unpack my element and it looked like it has been used.

I don't want to be using previously used items....I bought the grill new.  I want new items when replaced.

What do you folks think?  I think it could be possible it was tested out, but I want opinions.

I cant figure out how to post an image.  I took a picture.  The element looks dark in the middle like it has been used.

Thanks

They probably tested the thing to make sure it was not gonna crap out on you. I think what matters more is that it works properly. I would rather get a used element that works than a shiny new one that doesn't. Besides after your first smoke the element will look used anyways ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Tenpoint5

If I remember right every element gets test fired to make sure it will heat up. So you will have discoloration on the element depending on how long it was fired for.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ColoradoSmoking

Cool.  Thanks for the info.  I went ahead and installed the element and am trying out right now!  Fingers crossed!
Element is getting hot so that is a good thing!

mikecorn.1

Quote from: ColoradoSmoking on August 25, 2011, 02:08:14 PM
Cool.  Thanks for the info.  I went ahead and installed the element and am trying out right now!  Fingers crossed!
Element is getting hot so that is a good thing!

Good luck. Hopefully it doesn't krap out on ya.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

thepro8

Ive had a few issues with some parts breaking/wearing out over the 5 years i've owned my digital smoker. Bradley's customer service has always been AMAZING!!! The parts were free when under warranty and they are inexpensive after that. They always helped me figure out how to replace things. It's a well designed machine from the aspect that its really simple to fix problems.

ColoradoSmoking

Well finally got around to testing the smoker...running good with new element.  Think I really notice a difference....Seemed like the old element would really be slow on recovery after opening the door to flip/spray/remove meat.  This new one seems to recover really well. 
But...now a new problem.
The little gray/silver piece at the bottom of the unit has cracked and has fallen off on the left side :P 
My unit is never moved.  I have an outdoor storage shed reserved for smoking.  What the heck?  Another call to Bradley tomorrow. 
Love the unit !!! But the production is ticking me off.